We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Cruise July and I want to see Bears

Orange, California
Level Contributor
317 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska Cruise July and I want to see Bears

We are going on a Princess cruise and will be in Juneau on July 7, 2014; Skagway July 8th and Ketchikan on July 10th (but only from 7:00am-12:30pm).

We (2 adults) would like to take a sea plane to visit the bears but can't pay more than $500. per person. We need to be picked up or an ez walk from the port, not an airport. I saw an excursion but it also involved kayaking which we're not interested in. Some private tour companies are more than $600. We don't need an all day trip, 1/2 day is fine.

Thanks for any suggestions to tour companies and where we have the best chance of seeing bears the 2nd week in July.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska Shore Excursions
Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Rail Tours
Juneau Limousine Services Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska Cruise July and I want to see Bears

The only place where you will have the best chance of seeing bears from Juneau in July would be Admiralty Island......It would involve a flight to get there......even though it is a flight of less than an hour, it will be expensive because fuel for the flight is expensive.....half day does not cost less than a full day, they all require the same flight to get out there......If you really want to take a float plane trip out there to see the bears, make sure to book this as soon as you can, as there are only so many of permits that the forest service allows on any given day......maybe open up a vacation account and tell family members that is what you want for Christmas this year.....

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska Cruise July and I want to see Bears

All the tour companies are going to be $600 per person and as noted above cost will not change between a half or full day trip. You can do an unguided trip to Pack Creek, Admiralty Island out of Juneau. It will still be fairly expensive. You will need to get a permit for your visit which is $50 per person. They start selling them for the summer on Feb 1 at the recreation.gov website. You will want to get your permits as soon as possible as there are only 12 available per day for unguided individuals. You will also need to charter a plane to take you there (we used Ward Air). The flight cost us around $700 two years ago, not sure what they would charge now. You would also need to see if the air charter people would be able to pick you up in port or if you would need to take a taxi to their location. With all of these costs you are coming close to $500 per person. Personally, if I were spending that kind of money I would plan to stay all day to maximize chances of seeing bears. Pack Creek has great bear viewing but you never know what you'll get on any given day.

Mentioned in this post
Pack Creek
Pack Creek
15 Reviews
Juneau, AK
Ward Air
Ward Air
16 Reviews
Juneau, AK
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,837 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska Cruise July and I want to see Bears

The problem with Pack Creek on Admiralty Island is that you are really a bit early for "peak" season. I am sure you would see bears, but I would not spend that kind of money in off-season.

Also, you REALLY don't want a 1/2 day fly-in tour. You won't have much time with the bears if you opt for 1/2 day.

If you don't mind black bears, but with a chance of brown bears, a fly-in to Anan Creek from Ketchikan is probably your best bet.

Mentioned in this post
Pack Creek
Pack Creek
15 Reviews
Juneau, AK
Orange, California
Level Contributor
317 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska Cruise July and I want to see Bears

Thank you for you opinions and comments. I appreciate them. I just booked Family Air to go to Anan out of Ketchikan for $412.25 per person. Expensive but I've always wanted to see bears so worth the splurge.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska Cruise July and I want to see Bears

That early in July, Anan really is probably your best bet. It's only easy to see bears when the salmon are running.

A bit of advice for the next time: before you book your cruise, ask here to find out when the best dates are for seeing particular critters. Bears and whales always follow their food sources, so there are times when it's easy to see them, and times when it isn't. If I want to see particular animals when I travel, I always schedule my trip around the animals.

6. Re: Alaska Cruise July and I want to see Bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, January 09, 2015