We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter or Bus trip out to Mendenhall falls?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter or Bus trip out to Mendenhall falls?

Been doing some reading of reviews here on excursions to Mendenhall falls, so helpful to read everyones reviews thank you. Great advice not to do the cruise ship excursion to the falls but i am wondering are you taken to a different part of the glacier if you get a helicopter instead of the bus and walking on the trails there? Our cruise will be there in late September and we have a few hrs there. Is it a better experience and view to get a helicopter and land on the glacier rather than walking around nugget trail and looking at it?

Thankyou.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,136 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter or Bus trip out to Mendenhall falls?

Here is the view from the Visitors Center at Mendenhall Glacier.......the trail follows the lake around to the right side of the picture to Nugget Falls.....

alaskancruiser.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/0…

Here is the scenery you would see from the helicopter......

flickr.com/photos/…

If you are not interested in actually landing and walking or dog sledding on the glacier, there's really no reason to book the helicopter tour......especially with only a few hours in Juneau........I would think taking one of the blue MGT buses from the dock to the glacier would the best use of your time and $$......they run directly out there and back every 30 minutes or so and cost $18 pp round trip......no need to book ahead, just buy your ticket when you get to the bus........

Edited: 11:25 am, July 20, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Nugget Falls
Nugget Falls
998 Reviews
Juneau, AK
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter or Bus trip out to Mendenhall falls?

Thankyou mombear, that scenery is just incredible. Now i can't choose! Do you think you can you do both in a couple of hrs? So the helicopter flight and the bus trip out to the glacier with a walk to Nugget falls? I'm not sure exactly how long the ship is in port for that day.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,618 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter or Bus trip out to Mendenhall falls?

What ship are you on? The itinerary will tell you how long you will be in port.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter or Bus trip out to Mendenhall falls?

I've since found out our ship arrives at 2.00pm and leaves at 10.00pm.

Can we do both the bus and the walk to nugget falls and the helicopter in that time?

We would like to walk on a glacier and do dog sledding because its probably not something we would do again.

Any suggestions of tour operators that do that trip?

Thankyou.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,618 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter or Bus trip out to Mendenhall falls?

The last MGT Blue bus runs from Mendenhall at 6 pm as I seem to recall, and you would need to check with the heli companies about flights.

Whoops. Late September it will be sunset at about 7pm:

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

Decision time for you, sunshine. I would choose the heli option which was not within the budget for our trip. You will get a far better feel of glaciers than from just seeing the face of one.

6. Re: Helicopter or Bus trip out to Mendenhall falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 27, 2014