We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Juneau to Denali

Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Juneau to Denali

Hi experts,

BF and I are going to Juneau participating a program (sea kayaking, bear watching, camping) in Glacier Bay, Aug 15-25. We'd like to add one more week at the tailend, Aug 25 - Sep 1. We are thinking of renting a car to Denali. I realize it's nearly 800 miles and involves a ferry. A few questions:

(1) Is it reasonable to expect 2 days on the road? We don't want to rush. Like to enjoy the scenery along the way.

(2) Rental cars allowed on the ferry?

(3) If overnighting on the way, where to stay?

(4) Best place to stay in Denali?

First time to Alaska. Really appreciate your help!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,596 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Driving from Juneau to Denali

"want to move to AK"...

Short story:

- wife & I were born & raised east coast of Canada

- spent a few years in downtown Boston doing graduate school & working

- spent 12 years on gulf coast of Florida (getting warm, fat, and lazy!)

- spent 4 years in AK

- spent 2 years in NM

- was only going to move one more time so....

- we're back in AK for good!!!

Given the opportunity/adventurous spirit/whatever, I highly endorse coming here to live. It's a fantastic way to experience AK.

*** WARNING *** Once you've lived here, it's awfully hard to return (for me, tolerate) to the "outside" (generally what the lower 48 is referred to as)

Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Driving from Juneau to Denali

Wow! Encouraging!

I certainly developed an AK fever during 3+ wk there. Been to HI a couple of times for total >8 wks. Developed a yearning but nothing compare to AK fever!

During the 3+ wks in AK, had 3-4 perfect weather days - sunny, warm, clear - during Denali visit. Understand now why it's such a previlege to be able to see MeKinly sharp and clear.

For the rest AK time, it's rain/fog/overcast/sun on/off, but did not bother me a bit. actually preferred not sunny/hot weather day for what we did - streneous hiking, kayaking, etc.

thanks all for your thoughts and encouragement! I am considering................

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,491 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Driving from Juneau to Denali

Well Crystal - depending on what type of job you need, Alaska may be a win win for you. AND just so you know, when winters are too much to bear, Hawaii is only a short flight away and often cheap! On Hawaii's off season, I have seen tickets from Anchorage to Honolulu for around $400 RT. You can have the best of both states! :)

44. Re: Driving from Juneau to Denali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 13, 2014