We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west trail Mendanhall on own?

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
west trail Mendanhall on own?

after extensive research on Trip advisor and reading tons of advice and 'tours' of the glacier..I was wondering if my family of 3 ( fit 50's couple with 16 yr athletic daughter ) can handle that trial on our own...have done lots of hiking ( well a while ago backpacking in CA's Seirra Nevada's - 30 yrs ago but have keep fit , with long walks > 1 hr. +).Husband have no desire for helicopter rides .

coming off a cruise and AFTER a morning excursion of whale watching with Marv& Harv , which says they can drop us off at the glacier...( finish by 11:30am )but from what I've research..we would want to be drop off @ Montana creek road? - closer to West Glacier trail head with less walking?

others -fairly fit & 'tour' companies says 'actual trial ' takes about 2.5 hrs? from trail head. so > 4-5 hrs roundtrip?..could we see the 'glacier' if we only go 1/2 of trail or need to get to mile 2.5? to view glacier?

would it better time management ? - if we just stick to shorter trials by visitor centers ..and how long would those trails take? any worth the view? or aim for west glacier trail? - ship leaves port by 4 pm on Juneau port - so know that time is the essence..asking for help?

understand takes around 30+min on MGT blue bus/shuttle back to downtown,( can we purchase ticket from Mendanhall visitor center? or have to already have 'tickets' beforehand? )from visitor center or should I pre-plan a taxi for pick up back to town?

Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
Gastineau Guiding Company - Juneau's Premier Guiding Company
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Adventures in Alaska
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,643 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: west trail Mendanhall on own?

Depending on when the rental companies open you can get a car when you arrive and drive to Harv and Marvs. That is what I meant. Then you have timre from right after the tour to drive around. Just tell Harv and Marvs you will meet them at the dock - easy to find.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: west trail Mendanhall on own?

THANK YOU Juneaucabbie - for the info about West glacier trail- haven't even thought about the Mt. Roberts trail and the tram ride down to the docks sounds cool too.- will research that too.

13. Re: west trail Mendanhall on own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 14, 2014