We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Alaska

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wilsonville, Oregon
10 posts
Save Topic
First trip to Alaska

I haven't actually booked a trip as of yet, but have thought for a long time Juneau as a great place to start. I have been reading all the posts and there is a great deal of great information. When I go I will be by myself and on a budget, but interested in light hiking, seeing some wildlife (safely) and really want to see the glaciers. Interested in the history of the native life also. Looking for inexpensive but decent lodging and great food. Being a first timer any advice on good hotels and must see attractions. All advice is great!y appreciated.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First trip to Alaska

Welcome to the forums Nat, but self promotion of your business is a no-no.....don't be surprised when your post disappears....

12. Re: First trip to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, January 22, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First trip to Alaska

you should look into Hoonah Alaska, we love to visit there

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,303 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First trip to Alaska

Jack, please give more details - how would Hoonah fit in on a day-by-day schedule? Which business do you have a financial interest in there? Misty Bay Lodge?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First trip to Alaska

No kidding FTI . . . I'm really tired of all of the Hoonah promotion by this guy!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,348 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First trip to Alaska

Well, unless he is posting on the SE forums, I am reporting him - tired of this garbage - very confusing to first time posters, I would think! :)

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: First trip to Alaska

The hostel will be the cheapest place by far to stay in Juneau (especially in the summer!). If you are looking for a hotel, the Extended Stay is generally the cheapest, plus it's right across from the airport, and they have a free shuttle to the airport and ferry terminal. Depending on which trails you want to do, maybe rent a car a day or two. Several nice trails by Mendenhall Glacier. Juneau doesn't have the best public transit, but it's easy enough to get to downtown or Auke Bay during the day. If you have more time, consider taking the ferry to Skagway or Gustavus.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,037 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First trip to Alaska

Do NOT stay at Extended Stay........

After two realllllly bad experiences I will not return......shuttle was iffy and not dependable, both times we ended up having to take a taxi instead.....rooms were not clean and often had things that were not repaired......on our last stay we were moved to 4 different rooms before they found one that was ready to stay in......two of them were actually occupied....this was late at night after a cross country flight and we were exhausted......room had no tv remote, no telephone book (we needed to order a dinner to go)......the water was turned off in the bathroom sink and there was no stopper for the bathroom !

Many Juneau-ites use this hotel as low cost housing and there are often children running in the halls and people fighting all hours of the night......

Welcome to the forum Monica, but I just could not let that suggestion go unanswered.......

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First trip to Alaska

Unfortunately, cheap lodging is very hard to find anywhere in the North, especially in the summer tour season. Hostels are the cheapest, but the Juneau hostel has restricted hours. If you arrive after their open hours, even if you come on a ferry that arrives early in the morning you are out of luck.

There are a number of campgrounds if you have a tent, and if you want to stay away from town, both Alaska Stare Parks and the US Forest Service rent cabins for very reasonable rates if you are willing to hike a few miles to get to them. Google "Alaska State Parks cabins" or "Tongass National Forest cabins" to find listngs. Many are already booked for weekends (mostly by local folks!) but there are vacancies.

In Juneau, the Shrine of St. Therese often has cabins for rent. Check their website, there is link on the Juneau TripAdvisor page.

Edited: 5:24 am, March 03, 2013
seattle, washington
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First trip to Alaska

If you're willing to camp and good at making friends, smaller towns in Alaska are the best places to visit. You get a good sense of the people and life. My first time there, I had more adventures than any of my more organized visits since. Most of the towns have hostels, just call the chambers of commerce. One of the cheapest sightseeing tours is the state ferry. Choose your dates and times carefully and make short hops. Keep your ferry rides to daytime and you'll see all kinds of wildlife and scenery. Take food with you, it's expensive on the boat.