We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another question

illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
another question

i could swear i read an article about a juneau school teacher that has a tourist based gold museum. and she allows panning in her creek. anybody know anything. i know haines or skagway would be easier but want to stay away from salted operations.more interested in doing.will be in juneau for gold rush days

Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
Juneau Tours
City Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Allen Marine Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: another question

'i've been planning trips for years for us but this one is a little out of my element with out breaking the bank.kinda dumbfounding.'

From a former Illinoisan - welcome to Alaska. It costs a lot more to live here than in a lot of places in the lower 48, too. Add to that only a 3 month long tourist season, all our food coming up by barge, etc and you'll start to get a picture of why it costs so much.

There are still ways to do it cheaply on a comparative basis, but hotels lodging and rental cars are expensive unless you plan 11 months out or keep working at it on the cars and unless you go with cabins, camping or hostels, lodging is rarely cheaper than $150/night in the smaller towns. Occasionally good deals can be found in the larger cities for hotels, but that doesn't seem like it's in your plans.

Personally, if I was trying to do Alaska cheap, I wouldn't be going to Southeast. Plenty of places you can get away from the crowds without it being the SE. No offense to the SE folks, but the cost of getting there and back and around the different towns once down there is one of the reasons I've lived here five years and not been there yet.

illinois
Level Contributor
53 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: another question

alaskan tiger;i have dreamed about doing the ferry for years. pretty soon i won't be able to afford it.i understand everything needs to be handled beaucoup times and that costs money. i have a friend that lives in a rental car for a week in interior alaska.that ain't cheap either. like i said was looking forward to this for years and now that i'm disabled i have the time and i don't plan on leaving the kids anything.basically i get one shot just got to make the best out of it.i appreciate all the help i'm getting here. i'm sure i'll have more stupid questions thanks all

Winder, Georgia
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: another question

You will enjoy these SE towns. In July I flew to Gustavus, stayed 4 nights, saw Glacier Bay, went whale watching, & flew to Hoonah for bear watching. Then took the ferry to Juneau, went whale watching again(fabulous with bubblenet feeding & breaching), then flew on the Wrangell. Spent 3 nights, went to Anan twice, Leconte Glacier, & Stikine River tours. Not cheap, but well worth it.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: another question

The mining museum is right near downtown Juneau. If you are disabled you can call ahead (cell phone reception back in the basin is iffy) Renee will bring her four wheeler over and give you a ride, since the museum is across the creek and uphill from the parking lot at the end of Basin Road.

And you can pan for gold in the creek, as long as you stay downstream of the bridge. Upstream, Alaska Travel Adventures has rights to do tours on a staked placer claim. It's not likely that you'll strike it rich --- the last time I took someone panning there, after half an hour they had just a couple of very tiny flakes.

Edited: 6:02 am, March 03, 2013
15. Re: another question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014