We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendenhall questions

new jersey
Level Contributor
346 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Mendenhall questions

Can you pay on the shuttle bus from the pier to Mendenhall when you get on? and for only one way?

I also read on someones post that they took a cab for $35.00. Does the cabs fit 6 people?

Thank you.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mendenhall questions

Hi Jacers........yes you can purchase and ride just one way on the blue shuttle buses.......

Most of the cabs I have seen in Juneau are van type vehicles......if you decide to rent a cab be sure to specify that you will need one for 6 people, to make sure.........also some of the cab services can be rented by the hour with the local driver giving you a tour of the area, which might fun.........

new jersey
Level Contributor
346 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mendenhall questions

thanks Mombear-

Are the blue buses the one from the pier? and how much (keep reading different costs)

the taxi would be just to Mendenhall because we will be picked up there from the company we will be using for our Whale watching excursion.

So there are taxis that accommodate 6 people for one way to the Glacier? if it is $35.00 then it would be worth it.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,090 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mendenhall questions

Here is the website - http://www.mightygreattrips.com/tours/ yes they leave from the pier, every 30 minutes or so........ looks like the round trip price to Mendenhall is $16 per person........ so if the taxi is $35 and you tip the driver another $5 it would be less per person than the cost of the bus.......

new jersey
Level Contributor
346 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mendenhall questions

I have seen the website. That is why I was questioning if you can get a one way ticket because the website only shows roundtrip.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mendenhall questions

in the past they have sold one-way tickets. But things can change from year to year, so your best bet is to call or email them for verification.

new jersey
Level Contributor
346 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mendenhall questions

thank you. i just emailed them.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mendenhall questions

please post their response .... the info will be helpful for others travelling to Mendenhall and I'm sure the question will be asked again. Thx.

new jersey
Level Contributor
346 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mendenhall questions

I will and hopefully they will respond. Their website is more to 'push' the tours then about bus availability.

new jersey
Level Contributor
346 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mendenhall questions

Here's the response from MGT:

Yes, you can purchase a one way ticket on the Blue Glacier Express. The shuttle schedule varies a little according to the cruise ship schedule, but most days we run from 8am to 6pm. The shuttle runs from the dock and from the glacier every thirty minutes, on the hour and half hour. The ride to or from the glacier takes about 20 minutes. You can purchase the ticket from our vendors located on the dock with "We are MGT" signs, or from the bus driver (cash). One way tickets $8.00

New York
Level Contributor
3,290 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mendenhall questions

for many YEARS, over 10, you could buy one way OR round trip Mendenhall shuttle bus tickets. I have personally done so. However, you usually have to buy your tickets at the booths on the Juneau docks, and not from the drivers.

it is a 20 minute bus ride.

Contact taxi companies directly for their current information. I have seen van cabs. listings www.traveljuneau.com