We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 14 2012 cruise excursion info - Juneau

Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
May 14 2012 cruise excursion info - Juneau

We will be in Juneau from 1 PM til 10 PM and are interested in a helicopter fly over and walk on Mendenhall and also in a small ship whale watch. Is it possible to do both within this timeframe? Temesco advised that its first helicopter and walk on Mendenhall was at 3:30 since 1:30 and 2:30 are limited to cruise ship tours. Any benefit to taking the 3:30 instead of booking with ship? Also, any more or less likelihood of cancellation with an earlier as opposed to later flight? Is there a company that does both the glacier landing and the whale watch? We would prefer to give our dollars to locals if possible. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us so if we "get it wrong" there's no "do over" !! Also, we will be in Ketchikan and Sitka and if we get "rained out" in Juneau is there any similar glacier trip from either of these ports? Tanks for you help.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,432 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 14 2012 cruise excursion info - Juneau

Cancellation can be at any departure time. The helicopter tours are one of the most frequently canceled tours.

No company does both helicopter and whale watching, but if you book whale watching they can pick you up or drop you off at the helicopter tour location, saving you an hour or so of transit time.

How long is your helicopter tour? If say 3.30pm to 5.30pm, then you can do an evening whale watch tour. With your small boat whale watch comment, I would recommend Harv & Marvs, though there are other operators with just 6 passengers max.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 14 2012 cruise excursion info - Juneau

May 14th is one of our first weeks in the cruise season so I don't expect everything to be as "busy" - I'd hold out until a week before you are here then check around with Temsco and Coastal and have an evening whale watching trip on hold. We should have sunlight until 1015ish in the middle of may, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were 6 & 7pm whale watching trips.

There is also a small trail by NOAA @ Lena Point with a nice bench overlooking Lynn Canal, this is a "hidden gem" to do whale watching from (if doing it from shore)

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
99 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May 14 2012 cruise excursion info - Juneau

I'd add that mid-May is a little early for whale watching too. They might be around by then, but it's much more hit-and-miss than later in the summer.

But, you should have time to do both tours you've indicated if you like. Sunset should be about 9pm at that point, so you should have light enough for both.

Good luck!

4. Re: May 14 2012 cruise excursion info - Juneau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, March 03, 2013