We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

My family is looking for a vacation rental in Juneau, Alaska for a whole month anywhere from July - early September 2012. Ideally we would like a 2 bedroom home, apartment, or condo with a kitchen that sleeps 4. Our budget is $1000 a week.

My dad lived in Juneau in 1968 -1970, and he is the one spearheading the trip. I have looked online and am not finding very many options. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

Have you tried vrbo.com?

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/alaska#a1896

Good luck,

Scott

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

There are a few rentals listed on the Juneau Visitors Center site www.traveljuneau.com/listings/index.php

You may also want to post a classified ad in the Juneau Empire.....

An entire month for vacation, you should have a wonderful time !!.....You could take a few days to ferry up to Haines or Glacier Bay or Sitka.......

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
99 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

You might keep an eye on Craigslist for Southeast Alaska, but frankly I doubt that you are going to find anything that fits your budget. A typical one bedroom apartment rents for more than $1000/mo here in Juneau, so finding 2 bedroom for short term housing, in the summer, is pretty unlikely. There are a few B&Bs here in town that rent for long term that might be willing to give you a price break. Honestly though, you are probably going to have to double your budget to even begin to find something. But, you might have luck posting a wanted ad on Craigslist or doing a vacation swap deal.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

Nomeman, her budget is $1000 per week, not month........I don't think she would need to double that........

Fangirl, you could also contact real estate agents in Juneau, they may be aware of available rentals......

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
99 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

Any of the B&Bs in town should be able to work within that.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

We stayed at the Alaska Wolf Lodge for several nights. It's a B&B, but the "suite" we had had 2 bedrooms and a kitchen, so you'd get breakfast and cook whatever else you wanted.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there, just outside of town, easy access to everything, proprietors very nice folks.

You might check w/them...

http://www.alaskawolfhouse.com/Default.aspx

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

once you find something you like, LOCK IT IN.... we get really busy in the summer!

We do lack the rental homes/chalets/cabins that one would find in, lets say Pidgeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Asheville type areas (and its always been one of those "oh, why don't we have that here?"..).

If there are any entrepreneurs out there, you could make a lot of money buy purchasing or leasing land from Sealaska on Douglas and putting in 10 or 15 2-4 bedroom "cabins" or chalets.. you'll have strong business year round!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

House or apartment rentals are extremely tight during the summer, when we have a negative vacancy rate (i.e., folks trying to find housing exceed the total available housing).

Local folks tend to travel in the winter and stay here in the summer. Many tourism related businesses such as gift shops have purchased apartment buildings so they can house their employees during the summer season, and those rentals are only available from October through April.

The Southeast Alaska Craigslist might be your only answer, or you can try various vacation home swap sites on the Net.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

Fangirl, just found this story in the Juneau newspaper today.......a warning to all who are looking to rent.......I would stay away from Craigslist.....

juneauempire.com/local/….TvJucXpGiuI

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Rental House for 1 month in Juneau

Yes... the pitfalls of Craigslist. I love using it; but you have to be so careful. That rental scam is very common on Craigslist.