We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

Beware of who you shop with. If store is not affiliated with cruise line, think twice

Edited: 3:09 pm, September 23, 2011
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,375 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

Welcome to the forum. That is a broad statement, since there have been reports of stores that are associated with cruise lines having issues.

The best caveat is to know who you are dealing with and do your homework.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

Hmmm, I would only recommend jewelry shops which are open year round in port towns, including Juneau.......those affiliated with the cruise ships usually close down at the end of the cruise season and relocate to the Caribbean......but clearly the main reason to visit Alaska is not to shop for jewelry.....

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,642 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

Yo! D'ya need a watch... cause I gotta watch. How bouta a nice "neverheardofthename" semi-precious stone fer yer girl; I gotta those too! Cdn $'s US$'s... all money is good money!!!!!!

If the store is affiliated with a cruise line, think twice. Now it's a tie game.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

First-time posters who issue blanket condemnations of multiple businesses often end up discrediting themselves more than those they write about. Individual cruise-affiliated or non-cruise-affiliated businesses can be poorly run or less-than-honorable, but to condemn them all based on one person's experience seems a bit unfair.

There are lable-tags you can look for that will clearly identify when an item is made in Alaska or when it is made by a Native Alaskan....local information centers or your cruise tour guide can tell you what to look for.

And, as with jewelry shopping anywhere, know what you're looking for and what you're buying before you buy.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

I absolutely agree with the posts above. The only businesses you can trust in Alaskan port towns are the longtime open year 'round ones. There are great galleries and jewelry stores in each town where locals buy treasures for friends and family. Only businesses that pay a large fee to the cruise ship lines get on the "recommended" list which seems like extortion to me. Ask the locals where they shop...and do accordingly.

Sitka, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

In the interest of full disclosure, I operate alaskajewelry.com, the web store for Goldsmith Gallery located in Sitka,(locally owned and open year-round since 1990). Seasonal stores often engage in overpricing of their goods so that they can offer large discounts. They don't have to worry about alienating their customers with deceptive tactics, because they have a new batch of unsuspecting consumers arriving on each ship. Unfortunately, many visitors are shopping for discounts instead of value.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

Welcome to the forum Cleve O.......we can always use some local advice.......I visited Skagway earlier this summer for the day and was amazed with all the jewelry stores, most featuring stones I had never heard of, probably just another name for glass.....the stores even had "hawkers" trying to lure people into their shops.....very off-putting.....I was also appalled by the number of Indian crafts (ie Plains Indian type blankets, head dresses etc).......seemed to me that the shop keepers do not respect the difference between Alaskan natives and American Indians.........we have local artisans here in Haines, and it's nice to know they are present in Ketchikan and Sitka, as well.....just hope enough visitors find their way to the local stores.......

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

Hear, hear mombear.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

At least on the cruise we were on, some of the tourists knew the difference between cheap, mass-marketed junk and creative, locally-made pieces.....and tried hard to shop the locally-owned, independently operated places.... and as noted above, looked for the merchandise tags inddiciating Alaskan-made or Native-Alaskan-made.....

Unfortunratly, other folks on our cruise, and apparently on others, were more interested in saving a buck or two rather than worrying about the quality of what they were buying.... But as a salesman I once knew used to remind his customers -- "The bitter taste of buying an inferior product lasts long after the momentary satisfaction the comes from cutting corners and saving a buck...or even two."

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewelry Shopping in Juneau Alaska

I recall the evening we departed Juneau (I think) on our cruise that there was a very loud woman at the next table to us telling her table companion how great the jewelry shopping had been. She said that she had bought an exclusive beautiful brooch when on a cruise to the Caribbean two years before but had unhappily lost it a little while ago.

“How lucky was I? I found another one exactly the same at the jewelry shop by the dock today.”

Wow – what a coincidence …………..