We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icy Strait Point to Sitka

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Icy Strait Point to Sitka

Our cruise ship tenders at Icy Strait Point .. but I would like to go to Sitka to see the Russian church. Does anyone know if there is a day tour offered to go there?

Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
Juneau Tours
City Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Allen Marine Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,670 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icy Strait Point to Sitka

Welcome to TA.

Sorry, there really is not a way to get to Sitka and back from any of your port cities. If it were possible (it's not!), Juneau or Ketchikan would be more logical.

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Icy Strait Point to Sitka

I spent a fair amount of time researching your question and to the best of my knowledge, the answer is there is no day trip to Sitka from Icy Strait Point. They are two separate port stops or communities on separate islands. You have to select a cruise that stops in Sitka or come back to Alaska and fly to Sitka directly or take the ferry from Juneau. That said, I wouldn't feel too bad. I adore Sitka and go every few years, but it's rare that you can see inside the church. It keeps very irregular hours. I've only been inside once in 20 years of visiting a dozen times.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icy Strait Point to Sitka

You would have to charter a plane from Hoonah to Sitka, and that can be a tad pricey.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Icy Strait Point to Sitka

Since you can't get to Sitka, perhaps you could visit a Russian Orthodox church in another community ?? Here's a link for Juneau.

http://www.stnicholasjuneau.org/

5. Re: Icy Strait Point to Sitka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, October 06, 2012