We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mendenhal glacier bus

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
56 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
mendenhal glacier bus

Where do you catch the public bus to the mendenhal glacier and how long does it take?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

G'day Lorna, and welcome to the Alaska forum.

I think you might be referring to the Mighty Great Trips (MGT) Blue bus which is the shuttle service to the glacier as the public bus stops about a mile short of the carpark. The Blue bus leaves from near the tourist information centre at the dock where you will find a stall selling the tickets. It takes about 30 mins to get to the glacier. Be aware that the last service leaves the glacier for Juneau at 6pm. The cost is $16 pp round trip this year I think.

Edited: 5:39 am, June 20, 2011
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

The public bus stop is about a mile from the glacier visitor center. It's actually a rather nice walk, but the bus ride from town to there can take a long time, depending on which route you go. It's quite a bit more convenient to take the MGT buses. Make sure you check to find out when they're making their last return trip downtown, so you can plan your visit accordingly.

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
56 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

Thank you. There was quite a bit of information there, but I was still wondering where, in a mile radius, I might catch the bus. Another post came in after, telling me where, and because you told me the name of the bus, I was able to 'google it' and found an old post, from last year, which had heaps of information.

Lorna

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
56 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

Excellent! You told me the bus name, where to get it, how long it takes and when the last bus leaves. Are you also able to tell me if the bus leaves hourly, half-hourly, or when..........I will be there in August

Lorna

New York, NY
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

i might be able to help with this! there's a website:

http://www.mightygreattrips.com/tours/

it says that it leaves every 30 minutes, 9:00am - 6:00pm on most days.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

Here is a link to the public transit info with maps and schedules:

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
151 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

I'm SO glad I ran across this topic. We wanted to visit Mendenhall Glacier, but the cruise ship excursions weren't going to allow us enough time for photography at the glacier. We'll take the MGT bus, but I have one question about that. If we were to go first thing in the a.m., and return say around noon or a little after, do you think we would be able to hop on the return bus without a wait? Just wondering how many buses run and if they can accommodate all the people wanting to return.

We have another excursion (actually 2 different ones we're considering) in the afternoon, so we'd like to know if we can comfortably be back to go on them at 2:30 and/or 3:00.

Thanks if you can help.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

The MGT Blue bus was less than 1/3 full both ways when we were there.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
151 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

Frommy......PERFECT! That's what I wanted to hear! :-)

FYI......I had actually called Mendenhall Glacier and MGT bus line yesterday. In both instances I got a recorded message asking me to leave my phone number, and they'd call me back. Well, I must say they did, and they were unbelievably friendly and very forthcoming with all kinds of info. If this is any indication of the type of people/service waiting for us in Alaska, then I'm really pumped to go! :-)

Edited: 9:08 am, July 31, 2011
10. Re: mendenhal glacier bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 02, 2012