We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tracy arm tours

pa.
2 posts
Save Topic
tracy arm tours

hi, we have to stay an extra day in juneau because the fast ferry got cancelled. we are thinking about taking a tour to tracy arm. i noticed there are quite a few boats and times range from 5 to 10.5 hours. i would love hearing from people who have taken one of these tour and if they would recommend it to someone else. thanks

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tracy arm tours

Welcome to TA.

Not sure of any companies that go from Juneau to Tracy Arm and back in 5 hours. I don't think it is possible.

The main vendor that goes to Tracy Arm is Adventure Bound. It is a great tour but I really got frustrated last year with their office staff. They lost my reservations no less than THREE times. If you book with them, confirm and reconfirm and reconfirm. And insist on receiving your boarding passes in advance by mail. Keep EVERYTHING in writing. Keep canceled checks. Seriously.

Other companies do charters to Tracy Arm but unless you have a larger group of 5-6 or more it gets pretty expensive - unless you know something I don't.

John

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: tracy arm tours

Adventure Bound is your only regularly-scheduled option this year, unless you're on one of the cruise ships that contracts with Allen Marine or Goldbelt for a 1-way tour. (The 5-hour trips are ONE WAY, and you have to be on a specific sailing of a specific cruise ship to get either to or from Tracy Arm.)

It's one of my favorite areas to visit, but on any boat larger than mine, it's just not as "grand" of an experience. The absolute best way to see the fjord is from a very small, very private boat. As fti points out, this can be a bit costly unless your party is a good fit for the particular boat being chartered.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tracy arm tours

I also went on the Adventure Bound tour to Tracy Arm. It was one of the true highlights of our trip to Alaska. If anyone has the time to do it, I HIGHLY recommend it. It is a beautiful fjord with amazing blue, floating icebergs, many waterfalls, glaciers and some wildlife. We spent a lot of time in front of the South Sawyer Glacier and experienced some amazing calving. On our way to the fjord we saw some whales. We left the dock at 8:45am (we are on the 9:00 am tour) and we returned at 6:45 p.m. It was truly worth the time and I would love to do it again if I ever get the opportunity. Although I didn't have the same issues as John, I do agree, that it would be a good idea to confirm and reconfirm your reservation with them. It doesn't hurt to do it with all of your excursions.

pa.
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tracy arm tours

many thanks to john, case and happy traveler49. your information was helpful and timely. the blue icebergs sound beautiful. when we were in n.z. we hiked in to see the glaciers, so this will be a different experience. norton1943

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tracy arm tours

Norton1943:

Here are some photos from our trip. If you love scenery, you will enjoy the trip up the fjord.

…google.com/mdomaz/JuneauTracyArmCruise#

6. Re: tracy arm tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 23, 2009