We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Juneau

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Juneau

We have 10 hours (noon to 2200hrs.) in Juneau on our cruise in May. any ideas as to what to do/see. We are loathe to go on the over priced cruise excursions

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Juneau

What interests you? I took a great hike on the West Glacier Trail near Mendenhall Glacier my last cruise stop there. I loved it - saw almost no one, got well above the glacier, great scenery, great photos. But if you hate hiking, I doubt you would enjoy it at all!

A great excursion in Juneau is whale watching but figure $150-$200/person for that. Cruise ship's price is similar but for a much larger boat.

John

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Level Contributor
595 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Juneau

You can take the tram up to the top of Mt. Roberts and hike down. The ticket for the tram is good all day. You can walk around the trails up there if you dont' want to go all the way down. It is about 3-4 miles I believe, but very worthwhile if you like hiking. There are films to watch at the top and a restaurant. There are buses that go out to Mendenhall Glacier near where the ships dock. They used to be about $5.00, so it may cost a bit more now. The visitor center is nice and you can hike out there as well. Whale watching in Juneau was some of the best I have experienced in Alaska. I went with Orca Enterprises. Really enjoyed it,but again not cheap. The Alaska Museum is also quite good. You can walk there from the port. The cover charge is not that much. You will love Alaska.

Mentioned in this post
Orca Enterprises
Orca Enterprises
257 Reviews
Juneau, AK
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,852 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Juneau

Rent a car and drive "The Road". It's only 50+ miles long and lots of beautiful scenery. Stop at Eagle Beach, Auke Bay for lunch (Hot Bite), Shrine of St. Therese, Mendenhall Glacier, The Hatchery (one of our favorites) and still have time for "the shopping" (Glacier Silt Soap www.glaciersmoothie.com and enamel pins & zipper pulls at Wm. Spear www.wmspear.com are small, fairly inexpensive, made in AK gifts, etc.)

Mentioned in this post
Eagle Beach
Eagle Beach
114 Reviews
Juneau, AK
Shrine of St. Therese
Shrine of St. Therese
490 Reviews
Juneau, AK
alaska
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Juneau

Climb on the city bus and see the "real Juneau". The Mendenhall one will take you to within a mile of the Glacier. Cost is probably less than $2.00. There is also an unexpensive trolley that runs in downtown Juneau so you can see the capitol and the governor's mansion, etc. The state museum is definitely a must see. Cost is about $5.00. The city museum is right next door to the capitol and is interesting. The information kiosk run by volunteers of the Juneau Convention Center has all the information. Hope this is helpful to you.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
5. Re: Juneau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 am, November 04, 2009