We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

CT
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

Cruisewest called today to tell me that my cruise into Glacier Bay next week (July 22) has been cancelled. I have my flights & other activities already booked- too late to cancel.

This trip was planned months ago. I never heard of this happening before. What do I do now? Is it too late to find something comparable?

Thanks for advice.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

Did you get trip cancellation insurance?

CT
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

Yes, I did.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,753 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

Often when a cruise line cancels a cruise they give you future benefits on booking a new cruise. I believe one of Cruise West's ships was damaged recently but I am not 100% sure.

In any case, contact Cruise West or your booking agent and also contact your travel insurance company to see what they need from you to reimburse you.

John

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

Then I suggest you contact the insurance company. I would expect that having the cruise cancelled by the cruiseline would be a good reason to get your money refunded.

It would likely be impossible getting a "replacement" cruise that would go the same places on the same days. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a quick look to see if you could "adapt" to another cruise--maybe the excursions you have booked would be willing to switch dates to try to accommodate you, because this certainly isn't your fault. Here's a calendar showing the cruises: http://www.cruisealaska.com/cgi/calendar2.pl

Did Cruise West tell you why they had to cancel? Something wrong with the ship?

Sorry this happened to you. What a terrible disappointment!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

Hmmmm...interesting... alaska.com/inalaska/…9889791p-9809888c.html

CT
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

I purchased the travel protection plan for CruiseWest.

My flights and side trip to Anchorage/Denali were all separate. My trip begins in Anchorage Saturday,7/19. I will be arriving in Juneau on Tuesday, 7/22 for what was supposed to be a 4 night cruise. This was going to be my first cruise ever. I will look through this forum for other activities but feel it is going to be hard to book at such a late date.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,753 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

>>I purchased the travel protection plan for CruiseWest.

Does this mean you purchased the travel insurance directly from the cruise line? This is the cardinal sin of travel insurance - never purchase the insurance from the operator of your vacation, whether it be a cruise line, tour operator, airline, etc. You are not covered for default of that operator in such cases, which is not as far fetched as you might think.

In any case, no matter where you purchased your insurance from, contact the insurance provider immediately. The phone number should be on your insurance documents.

Thanks MM for the link to the Cruise West ships. I knew I had read something about that recently. In fact, it was in the Juneau newspaper and it stood out to me since the Cruise West ship had problems near Glacier Bay just after I left there.

John

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

"My flights and side trip to Anchorage/Denali were all separate. My trip begins in Anchorage Saturday,7/19. I will be arriving in Juneau on Tuesday, 7/22 for what was supposed to be a 4 night cruise."

Well, maybe not all is lost. You could try to find 4 days of activities in Juneau. Perhaps a day cruise to Glacier Bay and/or Tracy Arm (John, do you have links for those?), a day in Juneau itself (maybe fly up to a glacier for dogsledding, take a whale-watching boat tour, see Mendenhall glacier), maybe take the ferry to Sitka or another port for a day.

If things are already booked, you could still contact your credit card and see if it's too late to do a chargeback. Also speak to Cruise West too, maybe they will offer some kind of compensation besides a future credit.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

The ship you were scheduled to sail on ran aground in Glacier Bay last week. At first, divers didn't notice any damage, but now I'm hearing well-substantiated rumors that there was some structural damage to the hull from the grounding. One of the Coast Guard officers who was on scene for the accident said it was that ship's second grounding in 4 months... The only other grounding I had heard about was in Tracy Arm back in May...

My guess is that particular ship won't be in service for at least a few weeks. If Cruise West has another boat to put into service to cover the route, it will probably take a few days to position it.

With all of your other arrangements booked and paid for, this situation is screaming for trip insurance (which I'm glad you have!) Call the insurance company now that your cruise is officially cancelled, and see what they can do for you.

-Case

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruisewest cancelled Glacier Bay cruise

Oh, wonderful, Case is here! :-) Case, could you make suggestions for day cruises?

If it were me, I'd rather take the trip and enjoy myself, than try to get a refund of the plane tickets, excursions, Denali etc. (likely not part of the trip insurance anyway).