We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Guides

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Fishing Guides

Another Juneau question for you all.

My fiacnee and I are also looking to do a bit of fishing when we are there. Nothing hardcore, we were thinking of just a day trip catching maybe some halibut and salmon. We dont really want to spend more than $200 each. Is this possible? I guess we want to book a semi-charter, if there is such a thing. We dont want the crowds of a party fishing boat or the price for a private charter. Are there some people that take you fishing for something in between?

Thanks in advance.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Guides

A few thoughts:

1) There are NO "party boats" in SE Alaska. It's against the law... you won't find a boat that can legally fish more than 6 lines at a time... most only fish 4 anyway.

2) $200 per person is the going rate for a 4-hour salmon trolling charter. You're not going to find any reputable or successful charter boat that will take you halibut fishing in 4-hours... the commercial fleet and heavy local impact have made it so that a boat needs to run at least an hour or two to get to the halibut grounds.

Probably the best rate you're going to find is if you can charter a whole boat, then come up with 4 others to share the charter with. Even a higher priced boat like Feelin' Lucky or the Can Can can be had for between $1200 and $1500 per day if you book direct with the captain (no middle-men on commission)... divide that rate by 6 folks, and you're in for less than $250 per person.

If there's any debate between a fishing charter and a whale watching tour, remember the observation my Father made a few years ago: All fishing charters are also whale watching tours, but I have yet to see a whale watching boat that can drag a fishing line!

With fuel prices going where they are ($4.57 per gallon in Juneau this week and I've seen $7.00 fuel in some of the smaller towns) expect to see either increased rates or fuel surcharges added on to most trips this summer.

If you can find space available, here's my list of favorite charter companies to contact: Of course, Alaskan Marine Adventures... (full disclosure: that's me!) Also be sure to check out Hi-Time Charters, Rum Runner, Bumble Bee, Wolverine Charters, and Lucky Dog Adventure. There are others, but that's the top portion of my list.

Hope this helps some. PM or post back if any other questions arise. Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
436 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Guides

Out of curiosity, how's the fishing been this year so far in Juneau & Ketchikan? Just wondering if our trip out of Ketchikan in early June is going to end up being a photo excursion. Thanks!

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Guides

I can't really tell you much about fishing near Ketchikan... I don't get that far south very often... 300 miles makes a HUGE difference in weather, fish runs and, well, just about everything!

Near Juneau, it's been a bit of a slow start to our King Salmon season, but I suspect it should pick up any day now that we've had some warmer weather. A rather long, cold spring has left bears in hibernation longer than usual, and salmon out to sea a bit longer.

Early June, however, is a whole different time than right now, and if I had to guess, I'd say you'll do just fine on a fishing outing.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
436 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing Guides

Thanks, Case. One loses perspective staring at the map - didn't realize it was 300 miles & the fish can tell the difference! Looks like rain however, for next week everywhere, so we'll be ready.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing Guides

Thanks Case,

I had already made my reservation with Lucky Dog Adventures before reading this post. It is reassuring to see them listed on your list of recommendations. I booked a full day of fishing for my fiance and I so we can get in some fishing and possibly some whale watching as well. We can kill 2 birds with one stone that way.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing Guides

Are you fishing salmon or halibut with Lucky Dog? Ed runs fantastic trips, and I know you'll have a great time.

For halibut charters, I usually suggest people check out the US Coast Guard's 5-Star safety program at http://www.mxak.org/fivestar/5star.htm since the halibut grounds are a bit distant from Juneau. The problem with the 5-star program is that it's voluntary (as opposed to mandatory) and many decent boats in Juneau choose not to participate. I used to say I'd never put my family on any boat that wasn't 5-star safety rated, but that seems to severely limit the options these days!

Good luck fishing!

-Case

7. Re: Fishing Guides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 29, 2009