We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayak to glacier, bear feeding, whale watching???

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
5 posts
Save Topic
kayak to glacier, bear feeding, whale watching???

I am traveling at the end of May as a single person and would love an upclose experience of the above. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kayak to glacier, bear feeding, whale watching???

How are you traveling and where are you traveling? What cities??? How long???

Atlanta, GA
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: kayak to glacier, bear feeding, whale watching???

I have nothing in stone yet. I can fly, go by train or rent a car. I didn't want to confine myself early until I know where I should go. I am going to be in Fairbanks, Anchorage and Juneau at some point in the trip. I guess the bottom line is if you know of something please recommend and I will find a way to get to it. Thanks!

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: kayak to glacier, bear feeding, whale watching???

We need a LOT more information if anyone here is going to be of much help. A few problems I spot right away...

- There are 2 ways I can interpret "bear feeding"... do you want to FEED bears? (not gonna happen unless you're coming to hunt over bait with a guide) or do you mean to watch bears feeding (like on salmon in a stream)? If it's the latter, May is far too soon. There aren't any major runs of salmon in the rivers yet, and bear sightings will be a thing of random luck... hit or miss at best.

- The other "problem" I see is that you're talking about a trip at the VERY last minute - 6 weeks away now... Most of the truly great tours will likely be booked or nearly booked well before now (3-9 months in advance for anything low-volume.) Lodging in any of the small towns will be limited severely, and I think you'll be stuck with little more than high-volume tours.

Sorry... it's early on a Monday... I don't mean to sound "grumpy" or discouraging... Kayak and whale watching tours will be NO problem at all, but the rest of your trip will take some serious flexibility and quick planning to accomplish. (Also, while a short-notice trip CAN be done on a tight budget, it will give many more options if your budget allows a greater than average amount of money...)

Happy Alaska Travels. Post back as more ideas come up.

-Case

4. Re: kayak to glacier, bear feeding, whale watching???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 24, 2009