We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

Hello,

I have 2 questions here:

1. I got a charter boat from Summer Kings willing to do a custom Tracy Arm tour from 11:30am to 7:30pm on June 1st. Any couple would like to share the tour with us? It'll be $240 per person. He promises a great tour and we might see a whale too.

2. For Alaska expert, would it be worth it to spend all our time on the Tracy Arm tour instead of exploring Juneau?

Thank you,

AV

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

I am going to Tracy Arm in July with Adventure Bound. Sorry I can't join you!

Most people who get to Juneau on a cruise ship don't have enough time for the Tracy Arm cruise. Many others are put off by the length of the tour. I am spending four nights in Juneau and am looking forward to taking this tour one day.

Doing this vs. exploring Juneau - it depends on what you like, how much time you have, etc. I have been to Juneau several times before but was never in a position to take Tracy Arm tour so this time I am doing it. I enjoy hiking and hiked near Mendenhall Glacier a couple of times. In July I am going to camp at Mendenhall campground and will fit in a hike somewhere during my stay.

Only you can decide if doing that or something else in Juneau would be more appealing. Personally I am excited about getting to Tracy Arm.

John

CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

Thanks John.

I heard so much about Tracy Arm. We won't be back to Alaska for many many more years. Every year I want to do one place all around the world before repeating places again :-). That's why I'm debating bet. Tracy Arm vs. Juneau town.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

It was a tough choice for us too, but we went with Adventure bound. We are in port from 7:00a.m to 10:30 p.m. I listened to all who recommended I check port times before choosing an itinerary. I tried to get the most time in ports that I could find. We will finish with Adventure Bound at 6:00 p.m. That still leaves us about 4 hours to check out some of Juneau. My DH and I really aren't city people, and we do love scenery. I also hear the cities can be very crazy when the cruise ships are in town and it is often recommended to get out of town.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

Is there a "Roll Call" section here at Trip Advisor? This thread probably belongs either there, or in the Roll Call board at CanCanCase.com (Summer King posts there too...)

8 hours running to Tracy Arm on a 26' boat for $240 per person... sounds like a good deal to me! How many are in your group? How many does the boat carry? What's included (lunch? snacks, etc.?) Would you mind sharing the web link for Summer King? I can only find his charter referencing a 1-way tour to Tracy Arm for $250 per person and then you have to hire a float plane to pick you up to return to Juneau...

-Case

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

Oh, but yes... IMO it is worth a full day in Tracy Arm. Are there any other excursions in Juneau that caught your eye? Chances are, they can be done in other ports as well.

-Case

CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

Hi Case,

Yes, I spoke to Peter (the owner I'd guess). He did tell me $250 one way to Tracy Arm and charter a plane back.

But he also said that he can do a round trip if I rent the whole boat for $1200 up to 5 people. No lunch included. We have 3 in our party so we need 2 more.

He said he'll take us by the whale watching area and go different round back & forth so we can see more of Tracy Arm. He sounds like a nice guy.

I'll try to look for Roll Call.

Thanks,

AV

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

Peter is a great guy. I've known him for years... we tied our boats up 50' apart for the last 4 seasons in Auke Bay. You'll have a great time.

Be sure to call Ward Air for a price quote on the air charter if you're doing a 1-way. For 5 people to fly from Tracy Arm to Juneau, I would guess you're looking at between $600 and $1000, so factor that in to the overall cost. Also, 11:30am to 7:30pm is 8 hours which is a normal round-trip time for Tracy Arm. If you're spending 8 hours on the boat, why pay the expense of an air charter on top?

At $1200 for the whole boat for a Tracy Arm round trip, he's really under-cutting the prices that the rest of us have to charge. Alaskan Marine Adventures charges $1700 for a 9-hour round trip, and Harv & Marv charge $1500 for an 8-hour run. I would suggest as many people take advantage of that pricing as possible... you won't find a better deal anywhere in town!

Oh, check the cancellation policy. If Stephen's Passage is rolling with a 3' chop (common in the summer) the small boats can get to be very uncomfortable for 3 hours each way. I've run those same trips behind Adventure Bound when there were 4'-5' white-caps... everyone was very safe (better be on a 5-Star Safety Rated or Inspected vessel!) but it sure wasn't very fun for us on the small boat.

Have fun!

-Case

CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

Hi Case,

I'm from California so I'm sure what you mean on the last comment. Does that mean it's not safe on a small boat?

Thanks,

AV

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

AV-

Sorry... my phrasing was a bit mis-leading (I really should avoid posting right before dinner when I'm really only thinking about my steak!)

What I was trying to get at is that if the weather is a bit rough (ie: 3'-4' seas as is common on the way to Tracy Arm) I would want to be sure the business had a favorable cancellation policy. The larger boats like Adventure Bound can run in most any weather (comfortably.) The smaller craft, however, have to be a bit selective about the weather when they're making long runs. I don't want to talk you out of a great trip at a great price though. If I were choosing based only on local experience and knowledge of the area, Alaskan Marine Adventures, Summer King and Harv&Marv would be my top 3 choices hands down.

If safety is of great concern to you, you can check out the Alaska Coast Guard District's site listing charter boats and the degree of voluntary safety standard they maintain (on a scale of none to 5 stars.) Their site is at http://www.mxak.org/fivestar/5star.htm

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any one up for Tracy Arm Tour?

Case,

What does it mean if a vessel is not listed on this website http://www.mxak.org/fivestar/5star.htm?

Thanks,

AV