We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

Florida
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

This will be our first time to Alaska. We are flying in because we didn't want to do the cruise ships and not have enough time at each port. Where is the best place to fly into and what are the things not to miss. Are there any tours that we must do.

Looking for the top things not to miss in Alaska. I guess it would be depending on where we fly into.

Thanks for the help

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Orca Enterprises
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Land Locally, LLC
Sightseeing Tours
Allen Marine Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

The answers all depend on what you're interested in - my "must-dos" may be very different than yours.

Murray

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

I agree with Murray. What are you interested in? What in your initial research about Alaska really gets you excited?

Perhaps visiting Denali NP and Seward are very typical places for first-time visitors but some people don't like sitting on a modified school bus for 8-11 hours looking for wildlife and absorbing beautiful scenery at Denali. Others don't want a 6+ hour boat ride that you would take in Seward to see marine wildlife and a glacier.

I am spending 10 days in SE Alaska in July (Glacier Bay, Juneau, Wrangell, Anan Bay), totally bypassing Anchorage, Denali and Seward on that trip.

Give us some more information. Thanks.

John

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Denali
Denali
2,178 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

You got a great comment from Murray. I would also ask how long you want to go for and what time of the year? Are you planning to rent a car, RV, use trains, ferries?

BTW, many, many people love cruises to Alaska. You may opt to take a cruise one way and then come up with your own itinerary for the mainland.

I highly recommend you start reading posts right here and get an idea what are YOUR interests. You can fly to Juneau and visit towns, villages using the ferry. You can fly to Anchorage, rent a car or RV and go from there. So many options but you need to make your initial choices.

My personal the not to be miss thing would be staying at the remote cabin where only way to get there is to fly in by a bush plane and to be stuck there for longer than planned. Well, it happened to us and that's my idea of fabulous thing to do in Alaska, doesn't mean it is yours. It use to be I never wanted to miss bear watching tour from Homer but now I feel differently.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

Hey John, we posted at the same time and I want to add, you are so right.

We'll be in a couple of the same places in July and August using the ferry. Already booked. We too are going to the Anan cabin but I don't think I want to see more bears after this trip to Alaska. I'm trying to convince my husband to go alone to Katmai NP on a day tour with Emerald Air. Who are you using for a transfer to the Anan cabin?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,817 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

>>Hey John, we posted at the same time and I want to add, you are so right.

Great minds think alike :-)

>>We'll be in a couple of the same places in July and August using the ferry. Already booked. We too are going to the Anan cabin but I don't think I want to see more bears after this trip to Alaska. I'm trying to convince my husband to go alone to Katmai NP on a day tour with Emerald Air. Who are you using for a transfer to the Anan cabin?

I have a tentative reservation with Breakaway Adventures but I have been in contact with a couple of other companies. I would prefer not to pay for a private transfer (about $400 to drop off then pick up). If I can find a company already taking day trippers it will be more like $75 each way. Who are you using? I arrive July 8 and booked for three nights but I actually leave the afternoon of July 10th. If I didn't book for the third night I would not know if I could keep my luggage in the cabin when the next guests arrive.

July 1-3 Gustavus

July 3-7 Juneau

July 7-8 Wrangell

July 8-10 Anan

July 10 6pm start trip back to MN

Would be fun to meet up if we are somewhere together.

John

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

Most fly into Anchorage. Fairbanks also has an airport that some fly into instead.

alaska.org has suggestions for activities you may want to consider. it has a lot of information for you to consider and use. look there, then come back here to post questions you may have about activities, travel times and etc...

my tops were a flight-seeing of denali from Talkeetna. bear-viewing from Homer. kayaking in Homer. matanuska glacier hike, from Chickaloon (68 miles east of anchorage). shuttle bus ride and white water rafting at denali national park.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Flying to Alaska for the 1st time in June.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 19, 2009