We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

A cruise stop May 6 and I want to make the best of it. Tracy looks amazing. Does anyone do 1/2 day tours?

I am thinking that I want to see the city and don't want a whole day at Tracy. Is it possible?

Any other "Don't Miss" in Juneau?

This may be my only visit in a lifetime and I want to make it a great one!

Thanks in advance,

Preston

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

Sorry for the typo. Guess you figured out I meant Tracy in the title.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

I can't help you with Tracy, but I can tell you that Juneau is a great port to take a helicopter ride to land on a glacier. You get a whole different view of AK from the air! Juneau is also a great port for whalewatching. Whatever you do, you're in for a fabulous adventure!

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

Tracy Arm is spectacular ( www.explorenorth.com/articles/tracy_arm.html ) but it's a long way south and takes all day. There's a LOT to do in Juneau, though, whatever your interests - take a shuttle out to Mendenhall Glacier for $12 or so, ride the tram up Mount Roberts and go hiking, go whale watching with any of dozens of great operators, etc., etc.

Murray

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

Hi Preston!

A basic tracy arm tour can be done via a private charter in as little as 6 hours. I never recommend this approach, however, because so many things (weather, sea condition, ice condition, etc.) need to be "perfect" to make the run in this short amount of time. You're really doing a "dis-service" to the whole Tracy Arm experience by trying to "rush" such a great trip.

Figure 40 miles from Juneau to the entrance of Tracy Arm, 35 miles in to Sawyer Galcier, 35 miles out, and another 40 back to Juneau.... It's 150 miles of the most amazing scenery around. With a very fast boat, traveling at 25 MPH, you can see there's very little time to stop and look at much of anything if you only allow 6 hours. I always plan 8-10 hours if I'm heading there for a tour.

If you're only in Juneau for one day, most folks consider it an "either/or" sort of decision.... pretty difficult to do both in even a full day.

Having said all of that, I do know a guy who chartered a boat to MEET him in Tracy Arm, then chartered a plane to fly him to his boat and fly him back to town... the total tour time was right around 6 hours, and they spent just over 4 hours in Tracy Arm aboard the boat. That's not exactly what I would call a good use of resources, however... more like someone with a lot of money doing things "just because they can be done!"

-Case

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

Thank you both. Any suggestion on tour operators for whale watching that will be going out the 1st of May?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,698 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

Will the humpback whales be that far into their migration cycle at that time of the year? I have no idea, but purely throw the question in for advice from the locals.

The main focus of whales, from me as an Aussie ATM, is the atrocious current killing of the beasts in Antarctic waters, but I am looking forward to the trip I have organised with Alaska Marine Adventures in June.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

Orca Enterprises is running that early in the season, and gives a 50% refund of a full fare ticket if you don't see a whale.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

I will check them out.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

The humpbacks start arriving in the Juneau area (in good numbers) in mid May.

New York
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Juneau 7am-5pm Traco and/or something.

There also is a group of resident humpbacks. So it is close to 100% sightings on whale watch tours out of Juneau. I am a long time customer of Orca Enterprises. They do a fantastic job.