We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NCL cruise in late May what shore excursions to do?

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
NCL cruise in late May what shore excursions to do?

Me and 2 other 20 something guys are going on the Alaska NCL cruise and want to do some shore excursions but cant decide which ones. Ive read other reviews about how its better just to hire a car and find stuff yourself but am utterly confused on what to do...

Any suggestions?

Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NCL cruise in late May what shore excursions to do?

Sorry where stopping in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NCL cruise in late May what shore excursions to do?

Check out cruisecritic.com and you'll get more ideas than you ever dreamed!! Other than Skagway, I can't see an advantage to renting a car. (And even in Skagway, we preferred a Chilkoot tour to ride the WP&Y rail up and bus down). Let us know what you're interested in, and we can help you more.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,676 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NCL cruise in late May what shore excursions to do?

I would suggest you review the excursion list from NCL then figure out which types of things interest you. You can then decide if you want to try to do similar things independently, perhaps rent a car to do some things in each port, or what best fits.

My last time in Juneau was with a cruise and I rented a car. But for me it was mainly to get to the trailhead of a trail I wanted to hike - the west glacier trail near Mendenhall Glacier. After the hike I drove past Auke Bay to see some things but honestly, if it were my first time in Juneau I probably would not have rented a car.

If you rented a car in Ketchikan, where would you go? Don't just rent a car to rent a car - have a destination in mind.

Just some thoughts. Post back with any questions.

John

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,091 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NCL cruise in late May what shore excursions to do?

bassben,

I am doing the same ports in June next, and as mentioned above, downloaded the excursion list from the cruise line (HAL for me) to see what was available, what interested us, then researched those further.

Most of that work was done before I discovered either this forum or cruisecritic.

I then refined my choices by searching on here and on the excursion providers own web sites. I have now booked most of our excursions direct with providers, rather that relying on booking on-board with the cruise.

Consider that your schedule will not give you much time in each port, and in some ports there is not very far that you can, or need to, drive anyway.

Just my .02c worth from a fellow Ozzy.

Brian

New York
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NCL cruise in late May what shore excursions to do?

If you are not cruising the Pearl, I highly recommend you consider the Tracy Arm jet boat add on tour. You are not likely to much if any of a glacier view without it. Necessary tour in my opinion.

6. Re: NCL cruise in late May what shore excursions to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, September 15, 2009