We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping on Nov11

yukon
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping on Nov11

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about hitting Fred Meyer and Costco etc on a weekend trip possibly in November.

We share the 11th as a holiday and I'm wondering if anything at all will be open or do the large stores stay open?

Thanks ahead

krg

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping on Nov11

Everything will be open. Fred Meyer and Safeway generally do not close even for holidays. COSTCO will close for major holidays but as far as I can recall they are usually open on Veteran's day.

yukon
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping on Nov11

Thanks, that makes life easier - it's our thanksgiving this weekend and I was thinking about an impromptu trip but if I can hold off til next long weekend in Nov that's much better........

any more input is welcome though too - do restaurants and stuff shut down for Veteran's Day? Or is it pretty much business as usual?

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping on Nov11

All of the large stores are open most of the time. Costco and Fred Meyer usually take a 1/2 day off for US Thanksgiving and a full day for X-mas and New Year. I'm not sure what our Wal-Mart will be doing this year, but I'd imagine they'll follow suit as well.

Most of the smaller shops in town are already closed for the season, but 85% or better of the restaurants in town are still open. The one notable exception this year is the Red Dog Saloon has closed for the winter season... first time in 40 years or so they've closed without major construction going on...

-Case

yukon
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping on Nov11

Thanks for the info, decision has definately been made then- go in Nov. I can do my Xmas shopping!!!!

Bummer about the Red Dog though - I was looking forward to that! Oh, well just an excuse to head that way in the summer I guess!

Thanks all.

krg

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping on Nov11

krg

Ahhh Canadian Thanksgiving......so that's why there are so many Yukoners here this weekend......campgrounds are full and fishing in this blustery stormy weather is definitely not for the faint of heart, but the river is lined with die-hard fisherpeople.......

We did a stock-up shopping trip to Juneau last week....be sure not to miss Wal-Mart.....we got some great buys there and also at Freddie's.....bring your BIG suitcase :-)

yukon
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping on Nov11

Freddie's is a must for me......when and if there' s an Old Navy there I may explode with excitement - I was beside myself to find out there was one in Fairbanks - had to go there this summer!!! It was wonderful.

I just wish the ferry schedule was on my side a little more - looks like we're going to have to fly - empty suitcases there, full to the max return!

woo-hoo!

7. Re: Shopping on Nov11

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 11, 2009