We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Good Afternoon, Just arrived home a few hours ago from our 7 day cruise to Alaska. Will post my trip report soon but if anyone has any questions about these ports let me know and I will try and assist. This forum has been great and I know what it is like to want to get as much info as possible before you go. Just ask!

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Hi 1cutemom ~

We are leaving for Alaska in 2 weeks and haven't made any plans for Prince Rupert yet. Unfortunately we drug our feet on this port and now the cruise excursions are sold out. :-( Just wondering what you did here. Maybe we can find an independent tour once we get there.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Unfortunately, Prince Rupert I felt was a waste of time. We arrived there Thurs at 5pm-10pm. Most of the stores were closed in the evening. In the visitors center all the info said that their tours were sold out. I did notice that they added excursions on the ship that were not in the book ahead of time. (There were still excursions available the day before the port) We did not have anything planned for Prince Rupert. We wanted to have dinner in town. The only decent places we saw (we walked all the way around town) were right on the pier. I would get to the excursion desk right way and try and book something on the ship. We went to Smiles for dinner and my salmon was awful(sent it back). Fish and chips were really good. If your party is over 19 go to the Breaker Pub. Great reviews there. I guess to sum up my advise, either book an excursion or stay aboard ship.

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Unfortunately your reply seems to be what the majority of people say about P.R. I was really hoping that you would have had a more possitive experience there.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Hi 2GR8KIDZ. You might be able to find some interesting things to do on this site:

www.tourismprincerupert.com/index.php…

Let us know how things go. Hope you have a great time!

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

I really do normally see the positives in anything I guess after visiting the other ports this was a downer. Hindsite we would have booked an excursion. If you can't you can always do the musuem. It tooks nice from the outside but we didnt go in. It is $5 per person to go thru. We did have nice weather that day, a bit humid and the sunset was awesome. We also walked around on the small boat docs and got some fantastic pictures. You can also rent a scooter for $45 for 2hrs (right off the pier) and that might be a way to see more of what is around. If you do, go across the street and get a map and directions from the visitors center.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
360 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Anything your kids just loved, that I should be sure not to miss? (or reverse, anything they hated/bored with, that I should skip?) Definitely looking for tips on how to keep the kids interested, since mine are not going to sit and look at beautiful scenery for long. Thanks.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

In Ketchikan our kids absolutely loved the Lumberjack show. It is about 1 hours and very entertaining. Definately kept their interest and on the edge of their seats. We also walked down to the small boat pier and saw several eagles, both us close one we watch swoop into the water and get its lunch, which they loved.

Skagway, both were very interested in the walking tour we took. Again only about an hour but lots of interesting history of the town. Plus the guide was so good at gearing towards the kids and answering all their questions. Plus they show alot of pictues of how the buildings were in 1898 and get to see them now. We also did Salmon fishing and although we did not catch anything the captain let both kids drive the boat which kept them very entertained.

Juneau, we did the Mendenhall Glacier express and trail walk. They both loved walking down to the beach area and got to play with a piece of glacier ice that washed up on shore.

They were bored in Prince Rupert but I think had we done an excersion they would have been fine. If you are on a cruise, definately get them info the kids program. It was like going to summer camp and got to explore alot of the boat and do things adults couldnt do.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
221 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Oh one other thing, swimmomof3, we gave them each their own binoculars (got cheapy ones on sale) as well as disposable cameras which kept them occupied longer with scenary. They looked for eagles and other animals for much longer then I expected. Also having them each have their own map of the cities also helped with entertainment when we were shopping. They could help navigate and didnt mind all the stores because it was like a scavenger hunt. Not sure how old your kids our but ours are 11 (boy) 9 1/2 (girl)--both have to have lots of action!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
360 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

Thanks for all the good ideas. I am looking forward to your trip report.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Prince Rupert-Cruise

would love to hear about your trip and especially your shore excursions and how the weather was. We are going the second week in Aug. We are seniors so let us know how much walking it involves. Thanks so much