We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halibut fishing for my family

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Halibut fishing for my family

My family of 5 , mom, dad, 17 yo, 13 yo and 10 yo are coming to Alaska next June. I am thinking of taking them Halibut fishing. They saw pictures of the fish and thought it would be fun. My older two have gone on fishing trips before for smaller fish on lakes and enjoyed it. Do you think this is a family friendly activity? Is there any particular charter that would be more suited to a family? Thank you for any advice.

ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halibut fishing for my family

And I am open to doing this outside of Homer. But from what I can figure the limit is higher here and this is the place to fish for halibut. But again if there is a charter somewhere else, I'd love to hear about them as well.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,079 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halibut fishing for my family

Without knowing the details of your over all trip, it's hard to say if Homer is the best place to do this or not. Seward is another option and it's 4 or 5 hours closer to Anchorage. But if you are already going to be in Homer, it's a great place to go halibut fishing out of. And no matter where you do it, it'll be a great family trip.

I always go out with Big Bear Halibut Charters. It's a full day trip... At least 8 hours and one time we were out for almost 12. They have the bigger boats, so they can get out to where the bigger halibut are, but it takes a few hours to get out there. Here's their website: http://www.bighalibut.com/ And they aren't the cheapest... But this is one area where you get what you pay for.

We've always limited out, two fish each.

3. Re: Halibut fishing for my family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 22, 2013