We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

We are planning a trip to the Homer area in July 2013. We can't decide whether to lay base in Homer or Seward but it seems there are more restaurants and things to do in Homer. My first question is -- do you think 10 days is too much time to spend in Homer. We would like to stay in one place and just travel out and make day trips from there. We'd like to plan a salmon and halibut charter if anyone can recommend a good one as well as whale watching. What other things are there to do in this area? I should also say -- in the end, we are just looking for a pretty place to relax but it would be nice to have some adventure too. If anyone can recommend a vacation rental with a WOW view -- that would be awesome. Thank you!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

www.kenaipeninsula.org will be a useful resource for you. Order th free Visitor Guide, and go to DESTINATIONS to use the interactive map. Click on any town's name to find more information about the town, including it's web site.

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

WOW - thanks guys! I'll dive into all this information as soon as I can.

I found a cool place here on Trip Advisor in Seward. The reviews are very good. It's called Alaska Paddle Inn. Looks like a great view from there.

I am amazed that places are already booked up for next summer. Dang -- and I thought I started early. I already missed out on a place in Homer.

Do y'all know if there's anything to do in Girdwood or if it is a pretty place to stop?

I think our flight arrives in the middle of the night so maybe we could find a place to stay there for a couple of days.

Thanks for all the links and info. Can't wait to sit down and immerse myself in it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

WOW - thanks guys! I'll dive into all this information as soon as I can.

I found a cool place here on Trip Advisor in Seward. The reviews are very good. It's called Alaska Paddle Inn. Looks like a great view from there.

I am amazed that places are already booked up for next summer. Dang -- and I thought I started early. I already missed out on a place in Homer.

Do y'all know if there's anything to do in Girdwood or if it is a pretty place to stop?

I think our flight arrives in the middle of the night so maybe we could find a place to stay there for a couple of days.

Thanks for all the links and info. Can't wait to sit down and immerse myself in it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

I think you would benefit greatly from reading thru trip reports. They are a wonderful resource for planning an itinerary since they contain first hand reports on lodging, activities, excursions, drive times, etc. And some reports contain wonderful photos. A link to this year and last yr's reports is located on the ALASKA forum under Top Questions. I think many of your questions would be answered there.

The Paddle Inn has been included in several reports with very positive comments.

As for the Girdwood area. there are many things to do and see here. Again look at the trip reports for ideas. Might be a great place to stay your first night if you arrive late in the day. This link will also provide some suggested stops on the drive to Girdwood:

alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-s…

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

Personally I wouldn't drive to Girdwood in the middle of the night. I would probably find a cheaper hotel near the airport if I were getting in late so I could get a good rest before getting on the road. Girdwood is basically a ski town with a nice resort. On a clear day there is a lovely view from the tram. I think a stopover in Girdwood would be great, but I probably wouldn't spend too much time there. Homer and Seward appeal to me so much more. However, you may find it would be a good place to spend a night or two depending on what you want to do. You could take in a day trip to Whittier from there and go on a beautiful glacier cruise out of Whittier. The Portage Glacier is also a nice area. There is a hike to Byron Glacier in the area too. No matter where you are in Alaska, there are things to fill your days. You just need to decide what you want to do. Alaska is a destination that needs many return trips to take it all in. You initially said you wanted to relax on this trip, so be careful how many places you add to your itinerary.

Edited: 4:49 pm, August 06, 2012
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

Thanks to everyone for the fantastic comments and suggestions. I will read them over and over before my trip. I think this is the best advice one can get because it comes from real people's experiences. Thank you !!

27. Re: Planning a trip to Homer, Alaska. Is 10 days too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 11, 2013