We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

Has anyone taken the ferry round trip from Homer to Dutch Harbor and back to Homer? Is it worth it? We're thinking of doing that late September.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

Not sure what your comment here is. As for visiting the old Russian Church at Unalaska the church is not open and doubt you will be able to visit when the Tustumena is in port at Dutch Harbor, so you will have to stay and fly back (unless you want to hang out there for two weeks waiting for the ferry to return. To get around out there you will need to rent a car. The run from Homer to Dutch Harbor will take some time and not having a cabin will be rather uncomfortable.

And, when we were there we were able to go into the church, and just happened to be there at the right time. The church membership there is VERY small. And, don't have to go all the way out there to visit an old Russian church as we are loaded with them, such as Seldovia, Ninilchik, Kenai, Juneau, to name a few. The one at Sitka is a replica, the orginal had burned down.

St. Petersburg...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
42. Re: Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

I am 72 and I will be driving to Ak in 2015 in my new 2013 dodge grand caravan which will be my home for 2-3yrs as I visit ak,yk,nwt, van to toronto ca, and all the us states west of the Missippippi river. I have a russian orth, heritage and want to travel the marine hgy from homer to dutch harbor beginning of may or 1st or 2nd week of june. I plan on staying in Ak. for 3-5 months and am on a limited budget and flying all over Ak is way over budget airlines are so expensive. I also want to tke the alaskan rr from valdez to where it ends north of Fairbanks and instead of driving my own car to cross the artic circl they have day trips $150-$250 . I have nothing but time . I also want to spend 3-5 days in and around Denali. any Help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Peter

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

You cannot take the Alaska RR from Valdez as there is no railroad there. BTW since you have your own private vehicle and NWT is in your sights perhaps you would be interested in the Canadian Dempster Highway that runs from near Dawson City over gravel road all the way to Inuvik. Unique to the trip is TWO free ferry crossings to get there (the ferry does not operate in the winter and then you drive over the frozen river - no we have never done it in winter)

St. Petersburg...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
44. Re: Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

thank you for your reply. when did you visit dutch harbor? Do you have any pictures aboard the ferry. I was the told the chairs onboard the ferry are like train chairs that recline and Im used to being in those for a week or longer. When would you recommend I take the trip? I was told there are showers and food on board that you can use even if you don't have a berth. I am also on a very tight budget and the $500.00 for senior roun-trip is my max I would want to spend,. I am hoping that I would be able to see more sea life, birds and land animals on the trip. thank you Peter

St. Petersburg...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

Your right I mean't Ank. for the train. I really don't want to put my new vehicle on the Gravel Roads and The cost to fly to Barrow,Prudhoe Bay and Nome is way over my budget. I was hoping that there maybe a tour that goes up there but I haven't found any yet. Any other recommends would be greatly appreciated. Peter

St. Petersburg...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
46. Re: Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

Your right I mean't Ank. for the train. I really don't want to put my new vehicle on the Gravel Roads and The cost to fly to Barrow,Prudhoe Bay and Nome is way over my budget. I was hoping that there maybe a tour that goes up there but I haven't found any yet. Any other recommends would be greatly appreciated. Peter

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

We were in Dutch Harbor early last June for a few days after arriving on the Kennicott (Tustumena was out of service). We rented a car while there and the pass was still blocked with snow. They do have tours out there, but later in the season. As for seats on the ferry the ones up front do not recline. If I remember there are reclining seats further back (again we had a cabin so didn't use them).

As for your new vehicle (2013??) in 2015 it won't be new anymore. In 1994 we took our 1986 vehicle on the Demptster and didn't get any damage.

48. Re: Homer ferry to Dutch Harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 26, 2015