We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

North
4 posts
Save Topic
Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

My first post here but when planning my trip to Alaska I read many posts on this travel board. My budget is very low for my 18 days in Alaska. I travel alone and won't be camping. I have a small rental car booked and now need to find a clean accommodation in Homer. My budget for two nights in Homer is no more than $90.00 per night. I could stay outside Homer but I need to find a clean place. Every review of the Homer hostel says it is filthy. I can deal with bunk beds, share bathrooms but I don't do too well in dirty lodgings. Please help me find a clean room in or near Homer. I know Alaska is expensive. Is there a hope to find very inexpensive accommodations in Homer? Maybe someone knows about a room/cabin/ motel under $90.00? Please help!!

Homer Spit
Beaches, Biking Trails
Alaska Islands and Ocean Visitor Center
Natural History Museums, Visitor Centers
Pratt Museum
Specialty Museums
Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies
Educational sites, History Museums, Nature & Wildlife Areas
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

Welcome to the forum. I don't know of any unfortunately. Check the Homer Chamber of Commerce website and click through EVERY single listing. They have a LOT of listings there. That is how I found a nice apartment I am staying in. But it is not $90/night.

Also, it would help to know your dates. Traveling in November will be cheaper than in July.

North
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

I'm sorry about no dates. I'm planning to be in Homer June 21 and 22. Is a nice apartment you found much more than $90? Can you share the name? Maybe I need to sleep one night in a car. I'll be checking the Homer Chamber of Commerce website right now. Thank you very much for your help.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

Have you investigated Seaside Farm? We checked out camping there, but haven't seen the rooms:

…me.com/seasidealaska/…BOOKING__INFO.html

…me.com/seasidealaska/SEASIDE_FARM_ACCOMMODA…

Edited: 11:09 am, April 17, 2012
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

I stayed at Seaside Farms and honestly I was not impressed. I had booked the bunk room but since I was the only one, she didn't even bother to clean it (it looked REALLY filthy) so she put me in a room. It was OK but if the OP is looking for "clean" Seaside Farms is not the place. Also, she messed up with my credit card charges so it took a couple of months to get that straightened out.

Where I am staying is more like $140-$150/night but for 2 of us it works for us.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

Seaside Farms is a Kilcher homestead. We have been on the property and it is not to our lifestyle. You might call the Chamber (907) 235-7740 and see what they have. But, they will be chamber members only. Young's., a Chinese restaurant has rooms. My son stayed there when he first arrived in 2009. Said it was a dive. You probably could pitch a tent out on the spit for free.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,861 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

I would probably choose to sleep in my car before I would pay for a dive - just a thought! :)

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

I can't speak to the quality of these places since our trip won't be until later, but I have researched the Homer area fairly extensively. Finding something under $90 including tax may not be possible, but these are the closest I've seen. Be aware, I haven't contacted them to verify these are current prices but for what it's worth:

Driftwood Inn's Street Side European style rooms

thedriftwoodinn.com/historic-inn-rates.html

Arctic Bear Guesthouse

www.arcticbearguesthouse.com/events.html

Chocolate Drop Lodge is $99 but includes breakfast and a place to cook meals which would save you a little on food costs.

http://chocdropinn.com/index.html

Pioneer Inn, Heritage Hotel say they start at $99

These were about the lowest I found.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

If you're on a tight budget, why not consider camping for a few nights here and there to save money?

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

I guess I am sort of curious why you are determined to go to Homer if you don't have the money for a room there. Clearly you must be getting there from somewhere else. It's a nice little town, but no more or less spectacular than many other places in Alaska. You might try VRBO where there appear at first glance to be a couple of places in your price range vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…homer or Air BnB http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25866 which may have other possibilities...I just linked to the first one in your price range. Good luck. Summer in Alaska is high season and it's best to plan on a minimum of $150 per night no matter where you go. If you get something for less, you will be pleasantly surprised. Even my favorite cheap bed and breakfast in Anchorage is over $100 in summer.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me find lodging in Homer for <$90.00 including taxes

Gullbay - I have seen some of those places and would not stay there. Other than B&B at Homer our choice has been Land's End which is on the high side. The other two were Beluga Lake Lodge and the Heritage Hotel. We stayed at both in the winter only. Didn't care for Beluga Lake Lodge and only stayed at Heritage Hotel as it was Homer's oldest