We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
204 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

I would appreciate your help regarding choosing a half-day halibut charter for May 31 or June 1.

We ( my husband and I) are interested in the "chicken-holes" for size although it really looks fun to think about catching the "barn-doors." ( hope that I am using the correct verbage). Would love to catch some good eating halibut to send home.

Is anyone familiar with either North Country Halibut Charters or Alaska Coastal Marine Charters?

Do most of the charters clean the fish or is there a central place this is done for all the charters?

Thank you for your help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

I would recommend Bob's Trophy Charters over North Country or Alaska Coastal. All of the charter businesses in Homer will fillet your catch as part of the price then either bag them for you, or make arrangements for a processor in town to vacuum wrap, freeze, and ship your catch at additional cost.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

I tend to bow to locals, but I will toss out there that I've gone with Alaska Coastal Marine Charters twice and had an enjoyable time both trips. Their crews were helpful and friendly and if you don't mind being in a chicken hole (fish will be smaller but more of them), then you won't be disappointed.

Poiboy, can you give some details on why Bob's is a better outfit? Just curious for the charter I'm booking for myself this year and more info for the posters is always helpful in making their decisions. How's Bob's with a lingcod or lingcod/halibut charter? That's what I'm looking to book. If they're better at finding the fish than Alaska Coastal, that'd be real nice to know. :)

Here's more info on Bob's for the OP:

http://www.bobstrophycharters.com/inf.htm

Also, you can get the processors to flash freeze your fish and package it in a fish box with gel packs and you can take that with you to fly out with as an extra bag if you are flying out soon after your fishing trip. You can pay extra at the processing places to store it a couple days and you can do the same at a places in Anchorage or at the airport. It's a lot cheaper to fly it out with you and it'll stay frozen in the styrofoam box with the gel packs for at least 24 hours.

Edited: 1:18 am, January 28, 2011
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
204 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

Thank you for your replies.

I see that some 1/2 day halibut charters are around $100 & some $165-170. Is this based on where they take you or if there are lots of people on the boat?

We were planning to fish in Homer at the end of May as we will be in AK for 2 1/2 wks. Were thinking of the end of our trip being in Denali NP,etc.

How do you find out about places in Anchorage that may be willing to store the fish if we decide to fly the fish home with us? Or would it be pretty expensive storage for that long?

Thank you for your help.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

>>>I see that some 1/2 day halibut charters are around $100 & some $165-170. Is this based on where they take you or if there are lots of people on the boat?<<<

Difficult to know since we're not seeing what you're looking at in terms of charter advertising. There should be some info on the charter websites to both questions (how many fishing and where they go).

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

Storing it that long might cost as much as shipping it. The airport charges $13-16/day depending on the size. I just e-mailed 10th & M and Fish-Ex about how much they charge for their storage (info I needed for myself). I'll post back with answers. Another place in town you can check with on storage is Alaska Sausage and Seafood. Also, ask them if you bring it in to be vac sealed, how long will they keep it there for you before they charge you for storage. Might end up being a better deal to bring it up from Homer on ice and have them do the vac seal if it saves you from having to pay storage for a few days or a week or something. I'd ask that before I asked for flat rates. They might not mind storing if they are getting other business from you.

Like Von said, need more info to help with the other question. My bet is that the more expensive ones are 6 packs- boats that only hold six people. You can all be fishing at once with those and you can possibly get out of the chicken holes since there are less people to limit out and they can go after some bigger fish. I'm actually doing nothing but six packs this year to see how much more fish I can get for the price (to see how worth the money it is), but it tends to depend on weather, are they biting, etc. I'm looking to stock my freezer and if I can get two big fish that do better than four chickens, it would be worth the extra money for me. But if you are just looking for the experience with a little bit to show for it and enjoy later, a cheaper trip may be the way to go for you.

Edited: 12:52 am, January 29, 2011
Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

Just got a reply from 10th and M today- their weekly rates especially are quite reasonable. You might still end up with a cheaper deal than trying to mail it home, especially if you have something some to 50lbs of fish (what fit in a large fish box), like my folks did. Only 20 lbs and it may end up cheaper to ship it:

"The rates are $8/day per box or $25/week for the first box and $10/week for each additional box. The product has to be frozen before storage and cannot exceed 50#. Please let us know if there are any other questions."

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
204 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

Thanks to all for your help. I can see that I need to do more research into the various charters & what they offer. Thanks also for the info about the processors near Anchorage.

We are also interested in going salmon fishing near Wasilla on the Little Susitna river. We fished there in 2008 & had a great time. Only problem was finding a processor. Should i re-post this question if I would like to know of any processors ( package, freeze, possibly ship) places near there? We are waiting to hear from the guide that we used in 2008.

Thank you for your help.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

I'd say Mat Valley Meats will be your best bet for fish processing in the Valley. Here's their info:

mvmeat.com/servlet/content/custom_fish_proce…

I see their lox smoking is a buck and a half cheaper than Alaska Sausage here in town, so I may have to make a trip out there myself.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
204 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

Thank you for the information.

Really appreciate everyones' help.

Columbia, MO
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Half-day halibut fishing in Homer

Try http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I have spoke to this guy several times on the internet. Like what I heard from him personally - and about him from others, Runs a small business (low # of clients on each boat) for a more personalized charter.

Most charter services offer filleting of your fish as part of the original cost. Then if you want your fillets vacuum packed &/or frozen, that is an extra cost of about $1.50 per pound plus the cost of an insulated box if desired. The vacuum packed fillets will last ALOT longer than simply fileting & freezing.

Edited: 3:19 am, February 01, 2011