We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saltry Restaurant

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Saltry Restaurant

My husband and I will be in Homer for 4 days in mid-June 2006. Several guidebooks and visitors' guides have mentioned dining at the Saltry Restaurant in Halibut Cove. They serve both lunch and dinner and the noon trip on the Danny J includes stopping along the way for wildlife viewing. Has anyone taken this trip to the Saltry for lunch or dinner? What was your opinion of your experience?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Homer, AK
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Saltry Restaurant

I recommend the dinner trip, especially if you go on a beautiful evening. If you are intersted in the birds, on the way back ask the captain if he will stop by gull island. Jay is usually the evening captain and if it is a nice night he will usually grant the request. Excellent trip, highly recommended. Good luck.

Nikolaevsk, Ak
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Saltry Restaurant

I live here in Alaska, just minutes from Homer. My relatives have come up to visit from upstate NY this past summer. We took them to Halibut Cove and The Saltry Restaurant. Halibut Cove is absolutely beautiful, and the trip across was good, but make sure that you go over on a nice day, because in the cabin on the boat there is only enough room for maybe 6 passengers. My thoughts personally on the restaurant and the money that you have to spend, I would try to go visit the Otter Cove, and the Rookery Restaurant. I had heard that it's much nicer.I'm going to try that next time. Have a nice visit in Alaska. 4 days is such a short time. So much to do, so much to see.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Saltry Restaurant

Thanks for the replies. I hope to schedule a dinner at either the Saltry or the Rookery while we're in Homer. Either place sounds like it would provide a memorable experience to the Homer part of our vacation.

Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Saltry Restaurant

I love the Saltry--the atmosphere, the view and the food. Plus Halibut Cove has four art galleries tucked around the boardwalk, including the gallery of the famous Diana Tillion. It is worth the stop.

5. Re: Saltry Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 15, 2009