We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear viewing

SE Queensland
Level Contributor
54 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bear viewing

We are planning a week in Alaska next July after a cruise from Vancover. We have two sons who are wild about wildlife and plan on taking a bear viewing trip. I would like some advice on where is the best place to go to view bears and which town is the most convenient and economical to depart from. Is it worth the extra expense staying overnight or is a daytrip enough?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Bear viewing

MM I'm not sure who the complaint posted was about . . . and I don't read every single post on every single thread, so it could have been. They are pretty clear in their marketing materials online, however . . . and like is always said, there are never any guarantees with the wildlife. Here is the exact language from Natron's page on their bear trips:

Alaska Bear Viewing

Bear viewing is an incredible way to see Alaska's beautiful wildlife. Bears are often sighted on most of the flightseeing trips, but our Cook Inlet Bear Viewing Tour is our most common flight for viewing Alaska's Brown Bears.

Cook Inlet Bear Viewing | $345.00 per person June 1st - September 15

This flight takes us over the Cook Inlet oil platforms, past two active volcanoes (Mt. Redoubt and Mt. Iliamna) in Lake Clark National Park, and over the bays and estuaries of the western shore of Cook Inlet. We then traverse Double Glacier down to the wet lands where we quite often see Beavers, Wolves, Moose, Bears, and Seals. This flight includes a beach landing in which we will stop and stretch our legs and take pictures of the bears in their natural environment. This tour is so awesome, you get your monies worth the first 30 minutes, and the rest of the tour is free!

If you are interested in a guided full day Bear Viewing or spending a few days at a lodge watching bears. Here are two of our favorite lodges that already have a good system in place. Cost for a full day guided Bear Viewing is $550.00 at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge & $595.00 at Homestead Lodge.

(NOTE from Von . . . if the folks looking want more than "just" a flightseeing tour where they "may" see bears, they should expect to pony up more money and do the full day guided bear viewing tour for $200 more.)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Bear viewing

Well, since the title of that tour is "Cook Inlet Bear Viewing", I can see where the other poster would be conflicted. IMO it should be more properly titled "Scenic Flight with bear-viewing stop" or something along that line.

"if the folks looking want more than "just" a flightseeing tour where they "may" see bears, they should expect to pony up more money and do the full day guided bear viewing tour for $200 more"

I totally agree.

Now if someone is happy seeing a bear or two for 20 minutes (or however long the beach landing is, I can't recall what the other person said), then the Natron trip would be adequate for them. Unless of course there happened to be no bears on the beach when they happen to fly by....but I assume that doesn't happen often, or they wouldn't have this particular trip titled as they do.

If it were me, I would ask how long the beach landing is, and how often do they NOT see any bears, and how far away are the bears? Otherwise, I would go into the trip with the attitude that I was going to enjoy the flightseeing, and if we did see bears, that would just be icing on the cake.

Edited: 9:55 am, August 21, 2010
California
Level Contributor
106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Bear viewing

Thanks for the information. I got on standby reservations with K-Bay and am looking at the Hallo Bay tour as well. But the Hallo bay tour is half a day only :(

Thankis everybody

California
Level Contributor
106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Bear viewing

K Bay stop on Sept 2nd and I need to go on my bear viewing trip on Sept 3rd. Cant move my trip earlier as I have reservations in the ANC / SEW area.

Back to square one and I have to decide on half day tours between Hallo bay and Homer Air. Inputs? Thanks for responding.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Bear viewing

I have just returned from Alaska and a bear viewing trip with the NEW Emerald Air. There were 8 of us in the plane (pilot, naturalist, pilot's wife who likes to catch a trip when there is a vacant seat, 3 people from the East and my daughter and myself. Our trip was absolutely fantastic...we saw lots of bears, had lunch with them in a meadow and would do it again tomorrow. (Actually we are doing it again next July). We flew a Beaver float plane and my daughter rode as co-pilot on the way back which was a once n a lifetime experience. It was foggy going to the Katmai but the return flight was clear and Craig (the pilot) flew us over Hallo glacier and we were also low enough to see whales in the Bay. The new owners also purchased the lodge right on Beluga Lake where the plane takes off from and this would be a nice consideration with a family.

26. Re: Bear viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 26, 2011