We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homer With RV - Where to Park?

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Homer With RV - Where to Park?

I have read that the RV parks in Homer are crowded, loud and very expensive. Is there a quiet place to park near Homer, maybe just at an off road spot that has great scenery? Are the RV spots really $35-45 a night in Homer?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

Holy cow! I just googled for RV parks in Homer and the first one I looked at was $78 a night?!? That is insane! Is this normal for RV parks throughout the Kenai?

I would love to hear from others who have opted to stay outside of RV parks. Where are some nice places to pull over and stay for a night or two in the KP area?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,474 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

We chose to camp in those run by the state - BLM, Forest Service, etc. Most of them are much smaller, and I think actually nicer. Now, they usually don't have hook ups - some might. The private ones usually pack people in like cordwood, which I don't care for. Most of the ones we use are only around $10 a night, with additional fees for dumping. I haven't camped in Homer, but in Seward, Soldotna, Ninilchik and a few other places on the Kenai without coming close to spending that much $$. I wish I knew one specific website to help with the campgrounds, but I don't. Many of the visitor centers will give you free guidebooks to all the campgrounds in the area. Hopefully, someone will hop on and add some more helpful info to this! :)

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

We stay at the Homer Spit CG for around $20:

alaskacampgrounds.net/members/HomerSpitCampg…

or the Homer Hillside CG for $10:

http://publicworks.ci.homer.ak.us/page3.html

There are a couple of elite RV campgrounds that cost big bucks. But some of the private RV campgrounds with hook-ups have sites for around $40.

As coalminer said, there are state & USFS campgrounds all over the Kenai that are very reasonably priced. Ninilchik State CG is a great spot close to Homer. Here is that one & others on the Kenai:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/

Here are USFS campgrounds on the Kenai:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/

Just type in Alaska & Kenai as nearest town & the list will come up. We pay $18 at Russian River USFS CG, which is one of the more expensive USFS CG on the Kenai.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

We stayed at the Fishing Hole on the Homer Spit. It was NOT crowded or loud, and I believe it cost us $15. (no hook-ups) You could not find a prettier spot to camp than what we had there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

All subjecctive of course but perhaps these reviews will help you out. I see the fishing hole in there for $15 and Heritage was up to $83! Amazing. You can select nearby towns if you want to look beyond Homer.

rvparkreviews.com/regions/Alaska/Homer.html

Or stop by a good bookstore and look at the Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church. Great info.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

Thanks for the info.

yescanada, that link you provided was where I noticed that RV campground for $83. That is CRAZY!

Looks like we will stick to the state parks, etc. with the exception of the place in Seward that everyone seems to love so much.

Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

We too are looking for a spot to park our RV July 3 to 7 2010 in Homer. We have called and emailed the Homer Spit Campground several times and can't get any respond at all. Does anyone know why they don't respond. I know the wind may be bad but this campground seems to be close to the boat Marine and fishing hole. Do they take reservations

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

This past week has been spring break in Homer and many summer businesses take vacations.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,785 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

Maybe I'm hostile to RVers, but try searching the Homer Chamber website for info. The spit is loaded with the RVers during the summer season (not bad right now). If you have alternate transportation ( those with attached vehicles) try d checking out Anchor Point, which is about 14 miles before getting to Homer, and more quiet than the spit.

10. Re: Homer With RV - Where to Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 23, 2010