We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

Which Homer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
282 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

If you are a local to the Kenai Peninsula can you tell me what the conditions are like (air quality)?

We have a trip planned to the Kenai Mid-June and I read some reports that months after the eruption stops the ash that has settled will get kicked up by the wind and that the ash is sharp as a razor. Is this true?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

I also planning a trip to Alaska in mid-June and am concerned about the recent eruptions. What concerns me more though is that the last time Mt. Redoubt errupted in 1989-1990, it was for 5 months. If it follows the same course this time, it will still be erupting when we are there.

I think the ash/air quality in an area depends a lot upon the wind direction. Worst case scenario, if the volcano is erupting while we are there and the wind is headed in our direction, we could get covered in ash. We started considering postponing our trip until 2010...

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

Sounds worse on the news (I guess that's their job, to hype everything).....ash fell in Anchorage for the first time over the weekend, so I called my normal nervous-nellie sister....she said there was just a trace, thinner than a dime was predicted, she was donning her air mask and walking to the corner to pick up a Sunday paper, so it could not have been too bad.....This morning the volcanalogists were saying that Mt Redoubt had entered into a different and less explosive mode.......

Obviously, no one can predict, but I bet the odds are greater for you to be affected by an earth quake in Santa Cruz or San Francisco than from any ash fall in June.....

Alaska
Level Contributor
193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

Wait until a month before you plan on coming and than check out the volcano activity and such. By than we can get lucky and all the ash will have been settled by wind and rains and no longer a problem.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
327 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

I just booked my flight into Anchorage about two weeks ago. Will be in AK from May 16-24. We will be going south to Seward on May 18-19 and then north to Denali on May 20 staying in Healy, and staying in Talkeetna on May 21. Back to Anchorage on the 22nd.

Not sure what to expect as far as the ash fallout, but I hope that it's over and done with before our arrival!

bb

texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

What will the volcano do? Who knows. But, so far, no real evidence of consequence. Here in Anchorage today you can't see any evidence of it on the snow. Doesn't look any different than is usually does this time of the year. Little messy from thawing around town but the mountains are as white as can be with fresh snow. And we have possible snow forecast for tomorrow (Friday). Everything here is business as usual and if nothing else occurs, this will be a non-event for us. Plenty of talk about it for the last month and a half but other than shutting down the airport a few times, very little effect on locals.

I wouldn't change any plans based on what we have seen so far. If Redoubt settles down and doesn't act up much more, you will not be able to tell that anything ever occurred by the time you get here.

Come on up and have a great time. And if it does blow while you are here, you'll have something to write home about!!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

We had a thread on this a while back, and I thought someone gave good advice when saying to bring some dust masks. They're cheap, don't take up much room in your suitcase, and you might have trouble finding them on short notice while in Alaska if lots of other people are buying them.

Chances are you won't need them, but I always say better to have something and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

If Redoubt does blow again while you're there and you're in some ash, you might also pick up a new air filter for your car.

But I can recall years ago when we got fall-out here in Manitoba from Mt. St. Helens, with no real consequences. Well, except we had to dust everything off and it was a little hazy for a couple of days. But it made for some very pretty sunsets.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

Other than our masks & extra air filters in our vehicles, we are leaving room for flexibility in our plans for travel since flights might again and again be canceled. Two families I know got stuck Outside for a week trying to get back to Alaska due to canceled flights. So we are making flight plans & May travel plans with that possibility in mind. We just had a big eruption this weekend that "ashed" Homer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

We're visiting Alaska in August, flying up from L.A. on August 12th and then joining the Island Princess at Whittier on August 24. Our flights from Australia to the U.S. are booked but we haven't yet booked our flight from L.A. to Alaska, although we already have our car rental booked for pick up and drop off at Anchorage. I've been planning to book our flight in the next few weeks. We plan to drive to Denali, then down to Valdez, take the ferry to Whittier and then drive to Seward and around to Homer for 2 full days before heading back to Anchorage.

With what's happening with Mt Redoubt, and I realise that no one knows how long it will keep erupting, I'm considering booking a flight from LAX to Fairbanks rather than Anchorage as we're currently planning, and then changing the car rental to pick up there. We would then have a one way drop off fee and I see that the weekly rate is a bit higher than when we booked but with the uncertainty about Mt Redoubt maybe it would be a good idea to do this now rather than dealing with possible changes a few days before travel.

Is anyone else considering changing their plans for their travel to Alaska this year?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

I wouldn't change my plans.......afterall the folks who live and work there are not changing theirs.....they work and go to school every day during all this, I think that visitors could do the same.......

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ash-Fall-out from Volcano (Redoubt)?

I was mainly thinking about the possibility of flights to Anchorage being cancelled but flights to Fairbanks still operating. We do have a full day in Anchorage on the 13th before heading to Denali on the 14th so that gives time to still get there that day if the flight was cancelled the night before. The other advantage for us flying into Anchorage is that we can book a direct flight whereas for Fairbanks we'd have to change planes in Seattle.

Ken