We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking near Homer

Connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kayaking near Homer

I am looking for an easy kayaking activity in or near Homer. I hear that the water is calmer here than it is in Seward? We are beginners, but very excited to give it a try.

Homer Spit
Beaches, Biking Trails
Alaska Islands and Ocean Visitor Center
Natural History Museums, Visitor Centers
Pratt Museum
Specialty Museums
Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies
Educational sites, History Museums, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking near Homer

Hi Lobeau,

I e-mailed an innkeeper in Homer (the place where we're staying) and he recommended the following outfitters:

True North Kayak

and/or

Homer Ocean Charters.

I have no idea if one is better than the other or not; I'm going to research them a little bit more.

Hope this helps,

S1

P.S. When are you going on your trip?

Fresno, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking near Homer

I went with True North a couple of years ago and had a fantastic time. Now, kayaking is the first thing I check out in a vacation spot.

I took the Yukon Island trip, which involved taking the mail boat out to Yukon Island and then paddling around the island. We saw sea otters right next to the boat and birds were all over the place. We had a sandwich lunch on a beach and did a bit of beach combing.

Enjoy your trip.

Homer, AK
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking near Homer

There are a couple companies that have guided kayaking trips. Most of them take you across the bay into the coves where there are calmer waters. Yes, the water is calmer in Homer (most of the time) than in Seward because we are in Kachemak Bay and more protected than the open waters of Seward.