We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bear Viewing: Kodiak or Homer or Both

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Bear Viewing: Kodiak or Homer or Both

My husband and I are planning our second trip to Alaska next summer. About 16 days in Late August and early September. It'll be our first vacation after the babies. We're interested in kayaking and hiking. We're flying into Anchorage and going to Kodiak for 6 nights. Three days will be spent bear viewing with Kodiak Treks. We're also kayaking with Orcas Unlimited. After we leave Kodiak, we're flying back to Anchorage, renting a car and then driving to Homer for three to four days. Kayaking with Seaside Adventure and bear viewing with Bald Mountain Air Service in Katmai NP. I spoke with them. It won't be Brooks Falls, but they said late August is really beautiful. My husband and I are serious amateur wildlife photographers. I don't think we'll be bored, but some people have suggested Bald Mountain would be redundant after seeing bears on Kodiak. Any thoughts?

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bear Viewing: Kodiak or Homer or Both

If you can't get enough bears, I would recommend going. My family and I just returned from a trip to Alaska and toured parts of Katmai and Lake Clark with Homer Air and found it amazing. I hear that the bears in Katmai are more acclimated to humans and therefore willing to approach more close than some of the more skittish/human-weary bears. The bears in Katmai my be better for a photographer but from what I understand the bigger bears are found on Kodiak, so you may not be as awestruck with their size. If you have it within your means, I would recommend going. You will see different behaviors from both sets of bears and also different pics. I am the kind of person that was trying to spot bear from my plane out of Anchorage, so I may be biased, but if I were you I would definitely go.

Kenosha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bear Viewing: Kodiak or Homer or Both

We took Bald Mountain Air in last August 2006. You'll be going to Geographic Bay. The flight is stunning (I took a half hour of video on the flight alone!), and the setting is spectacular. Don't know if the trip would be redundant. On the one hand, well, you'll already have seen bears. On the other hand, these won't be the SAME bears! LOL It's up to you. I'll second the "if you can't get enough bears, then go!" sentiment. Just budget carefully; it's not the least expensive thing you can do in Alaska, and it may be the most expensive, but it WILL be the most exhilarating.

Enjoy!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bear Viewing: Kodiak or Homer or Both

I agree - if you can afford the time and money, go from Homer again. I have seen bears in Katmai NP (Brooks), Denali NP and Anan Creek. I would do any of them again. In fact, I go to Denali relatively often (the cheapest place to see bears but not as much of a guarantee and not usually as close). I also would love to go to another area of Alaska to see bears but the above three were by far the cheapest for me (using freq flyer miles, etc).

John

4. Re: Bear Viewing: Kodiak or Homer or Both

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:31 am, October 02, 2009