We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info from locals please

Las Vegas...
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Info from locals please

In March my husband and I will be returning to Homer for an eagle photography class. We spent a few days in Homer in Sept. '06, we were there for a bear viewing trip to Katmai. Though our time in Homer was limited we really enjoyed our stay and the beauty of the area is beyond words. So when I learned one of my favorite photographers was offering a class in Homer we jumped at the chance to go back.

But here's my question...how cold is it going to be in March? I know temperatures can vary greatly, but a rough idea would be helpful. I'll be dressing in layers, but I'm just wondering how many layers I'll need! I have a lot of cold weather gear as we are avid skiers. But I don't want to overpack, as cold weather gear is fairly bulky. But on the other hand I don't want to underpack and have to scramble to find something once I'm there.

Also any restaurants you can suggest? We have three favorites (Sourdough Express...I think that's the name! I just know where it is!, Cafe Cups and the Homestead) but since we'll be there for a little over a week, I'd like to try some others.

Thanks everyone!

Tahiti

North Carolina
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info from locals please

I'm not a "local", but I too am going to Ak next year and WeatherUnderground is where I go for information like you are asking. You can see what the temps have been for the past several years, which days it rained and how much.

Lots of very useful data. I tried posting the Homer link, but the filter would not allow me to post the entire address

So, start here:

1. www.wunderground.com

2. "trip planner" from the title bar

3. enter Homer into the location and bamm good info.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Info from locals please

Hi! Until one of the locals comes along, this temperature chart for Homer should give you an idea of weather: alaska.com/about/…4481284p-4775749c.html

And I assume you already know about the Eagle Lady, Jean Keene, who should still be feeding hundreds of eagles when you are in Homer.

Have a great time!

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info from locals please

have a meal at Fat Olive's.

Las Vegas...
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info from locals please

Thanks to all about the weather info. I'll give that site a try. I usually use weather-dot-com, but it was pretty vague.

I had heard that Jean has to stop feeding the eagles in 2010, due to the passage of new city law. From what I've learned the eagles are considered to be migratory birds and there is nothing that says you can't feed a migratory bird. But apparently someone in Homer complained and a city law was passed. I just wonder how much of a decline in revenue the entire city will see once Jean has to stop feeding the eagles during the winter.

Guess that's another question for the locals...is this true? This was one of the reasons I booked the photography class for 2008.

And I will put Fat Olives on our list! Thanks again!

Tahiti

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Info from locals please

Here's a blog about the new ordinance:

…blogspot.com/2007/03/eagle-lady.html

Since Jean will be 85 by then, she won't be around too much longer. If she is still capable of feeding the birds in 2011, wouldn't surprise me to see a delay in the implementation of the ordinance. But that's only my opinion.

If the majority of people who live in Homer want the ban, then obviously they're willing to live with any loss in revenue that it may cause. That's up to them.

Fortunately, looks like you'll be able to see her and even meet her. Do come back here and post a few pictures that you take, and maybe a trip report too, so the rest of us can share a bit of your fantastic experience!

Las Vegas...
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info from locals please

Thanks for the link Manatoba Maple! That was very interesting. I knew there were a lot of birds, but wow!

Our class is down the beach from Jean's place. We're not going far from our hotel, since it can be so cold! According to the instructor, whom I have taken another calss from, he doesn't go near Jean's place as it's too congested with eagles. He said there are plently of eagles right in front of our hotel.

I will most certainly post a review of the trip and a photo or two!

Thanks again

Tahiti

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info from locals please

March is tricky, just like the rest of the year here. My suggestion to you (and my standard response is) bring lots of layers. It could be 50 one day and 15 the next. So you just never know. I would suggest bringing extra waterproofing or layers that won't be affected by wind. The cold wind chills right to tbebone. The breeze is refreshing in July, and unbearable in March.

Try the new restaurant Wasabi's on East End (sushi and new american food) Cosmic Kitchen is our favorite for great salads and tex-mex. Also the Thai restaurant "Try my Thai" is pretty good too. A lot of the seasonal restaurants won't be open yet when you visit, so unfortunately your choices are limited a little bit.

Las Vegas...
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info from locals please

Thank you for the info HomerGirl. I thought some of the restaurants would operate on a seasonal basis, so I appreciate the help of locals. Also, you often find the really good restaurants that way!

Tahiti

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info from locals please

Yes, during the summer, one of my favorite places is Capt. Patties down on the spit, but we were in Homer last winter for few days . . . I really enjoyed Cosmic Kitchen, Cafe Cups, but especially Fat Olives - some of the best pizza in the state, I think! Homer is still a beautiful place, no matter what time of year. :)

alaksa
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info from locals please

Get the weather from:

WWW.ARH.NOAA.GOV

Click on the region you are traveling to .

The most accurate easy to read weather.

There is no way of telling what the weather could be. We are having colder temps and more snow than usual. But that means nothing.