We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bear watching flights homer

bridgend
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
bear watching flights homer

Help!! We are in Homer on 1 and 2 August this year and wish to do a day's bear watching. Everything points to Emerald Air who we've contacted and who are already full. Does anyone have any suggestions for other companies offering a good experience? Thanks

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bear watching flights homer

My personal experience has been with Bald Mountain Air. I went with them in June 2001, and will be going again next week. From my personal experience, there is not other choice. They "guarantee beaars." If you can get booked with them, you will be very pleased with your experience. Good luck and have fun.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bear watching flights homer

I'd also like to add to always recheck as people do cancel or change dates. So, if the date you want in booked today, maybe next week it will open up. You just never know. Ask to be put if a wait list if they have one.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bear watching flights homer

http://www.baldmountainair.com/

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bear watching flights homer

We went with Hallo Bay on July 31st and had a great trip. We did not see a great number of bears, about 6 total, but we spent most of 5 hours or so with one large female who got as close as 15 ft once or twice. This company is only one with a camp right there on the coast and they live there all season long. Check out photos on

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bear watching flights homer

swdke is right, check again. We just canceled yesterday one of our trips with Emerald.

bridgend
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bear watching flights homer

thanks to all for your help - we have managed to get a flight with bald mountain air - they had one vacancy so we've grabbed it!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bear watching flights homer

We just returned from Alaska and we did Bald Mountain Air out of Homer to go view the bears. It was fabulous. Ask Jeanne, the owner, to hook you up with Eric ,the pilot/guide--he really knows how to give an awesome tour. We walked right among those magnificent creatures. Eric educated us on bear behavior and we felt totally safe.

Enjoy this incredible lifetime experince.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
297 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bear watching flights homer

We too went with Bald Mountain Air 2 weeks ago, and it was fabulous. Another couple on our trip had gone with Emerald Air the day before, and was so disappointed(not just about the lack of bears, but also the lack of personality), that they decided to try again with Bald Mountain Air,, and they were completely satisfied. I would definately go with them again. Both Dale and Eric were friendly and really gave us quite an education on bears and their behavior.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
34 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bear watching flights homer

So glad to hear you had a great trip. I feel compelled now that I am home to share the good news with folks traveling to Alaska. I gleaned so much information from Trip Advisor before we went to Alaska that now it is my turn to help others plan their trip.

Where did you land for your bear day--we were at Swikshak Bay. We went on June 24--when did you go? Was it raining the day you went?

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
297 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bear watching flights homer

Yes we did go to Swikshak Bay. It was amazing!!! It was cloudy, then sprinkled for 10 minutes, and then the sun went in and out all day. I was really happy we went with Bald Mountain Air. Everything was perfect. I would highly reconmend them to anyone wishing to experiece this.