We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking

Which Healy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bullhead City, AZ
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking

We are four old varmints considering a cruise and pre- or post- trip to see Denali. Is there any place to stay that would have rooms we can smoke in? We can double up (2 queens) if necessary but being able to smoke is important to us. What's the general policy on smoking in the area? We were planning a trip to Hawaii for a couple of weeks but have now canceled it out due to the new anti-smoking laws. Any information would be appreciated.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking

On the ships, smoking is only allowed in a tiny area out on deck. Most of the big hotels have a few smokng rooms, most small ones and B&Bs are non-smoking now.

2. Re: Smoking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:08 pm, February 06, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking

Hi FotoTex,

This is none of my concern, but I had to reply. Lighten up a bit. I too do not like being around smokers. But hummerbhc is asking a legitimate question. Blame the tobacco companies and their addictive nicotine for smokers' habits.

Dallas Texas USA
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking

I stand corrected. My response was un-appropriate. Its a free country. Enjoy your cruise.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking

Smoking in Alaska has long been forbidden in public buildings, and this has spread to just about everywhere. Last I heard the bingo parlors and bars were fighting to keep the privilege of smoking, because such a substantial number of their clients do smoke.

Bring an umbrella with you in case it is raining when you wish to smoke. You cannot smoke within 50 feet of the entrance of a building, and that counts even when it is -40 outside.

You will have to check with the individual hotels to see if they have smoking rooms. I am thankful every time I get a room that does not stink, which is pretty often these days.

Now the advantage you bring with you is that you can tease the mosquitos by blowing smoke in their face ...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,473 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking

Hi there! For sure I know that one hotel - the Totem Inn has smoking rooms - most of the B&B's/Inns and cabins don't allow smoking inside, but of course, would allow it outside. I hope that helps some. :)

Bullhead City, AZ
Level Contributor
251 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking

Thank you all for the information. Obviously, we'll have to do some more research, we didn't realize that Alaska had such stringent anti-smoking laws. Appreciate your replies.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking

Come to Seward and smoke all you want... You can smoke in all the bars, and some of the restaurants, motels and boat charters.

You can still smoke at all the bingo halls in Anch. : )

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking

I don't think too many people travel to Alaska to visit bingo places but avoid Marriott's hotels. Fortunately for us all Marriott hotels are now non-smoking. During all our trips to Alaska I don't recall staying even in one place that allowed smoking inside but some allows smoking outside. I think Pat and Windell's B&B in Healy has two queen beds and maybe allows smoking.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking

Just a note.......the laws Since71 refers to are those for Anchorage City ......other places in the state are different.....you will need to check out each place as you make your plans.......here in Haines you can smoke in the bars, vets hall, elks club, etc.......each lodging area is different......

Get answers to your questions about Healy