We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora, Aurora, Aurora !!

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Aurora, Aurora, Aurora !!

Hi All !

When is the best and most convenient time to see the Lights?

Do any of these times coincide with Denali being mostly open?

Thx!!

Okie Star Gazer

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,100 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aurora, Aurora, Aurora !!

Denali is open late May to early September, This also coincides with having about 20 hours of daylight and minimal darkness. One of the key ingredients to the Aurora is darkness and there's very little of that in Denali (& north of Denali) in the summer.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aurora, Aurora, Aurora !!

The best time/place to see aurora is in March in Fairbanks (or north of there, but lots of things to do in and around Fairbanks during the day while you're waiting for nightfall).

It gets dark enough at night by the end of August to see the Lights (if they occur). I saw them in Denali a few years ago at that time.... The last date this year for shuttles going into Denali is Sept. 16. Be aware, however, that there is a small chance that a heavy snow can close the road before then.

So if you're trying to combine the two, I'd suggest planning Denali for after the first week of September. No promises, though, on whether or not you will see aurora at all. That is a matter of luck. The September equinox is also a good time for aurora-viewing, but then you'd miss Denali. Unless of course you win the Road Lottery or can obtain a permit from someone who did. Though then you'd be at an even greater risk of having the road closed due to snow.... Anyway, here is more info on that in case you're interested: nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/road-lottery.htm

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aurora, Aurora, Aurora !!

Thank you both for the info and the replies.

You gave me alot to think about!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aurora, Aurora, Aurora !!

You just never know when the aurora might show itself. I was camping at Wonder Lake last week for three nights. Monday night August 23rd/morning of August 24th there was an incredible aurora show for about an hour at 2.30am, even visible with the bright full moon that night. Two nights later I got up twice in the middle of the night with clear skies but unfortunately no luck that night (at least not when I was up!). Check the forecast repeatedly and if staying in a hotel/lodge/B&B you can ask them for a wake-up call if the aurora becomes visible.

John

5. Re: Aurora, Aurora, Aurora !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 28, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Healy