We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to eat

Which Healy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
albuquerque, new...
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
places to eat

Looked at past posts, and thought for sure I'd find the answer to this question...but I didn't. We will be staying in Healy for our visit to Denali NP. I know that there is a subway at the park entrance, but wondered about other eating establishments in Healy.

L

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to eat

Healy doesn't offer as much as the Park area, so that is probably why it isn't discussed much here on the forum. We have two delis (both located in the gas stations), two year round cafes - the Totem Inn and Rose's Cafe - serving average American fare. And during the summer, we have the Black Diamond Grille up at the golf course - so I would recommend that for lunch/dinner. Most of us head to Black Diamond or go to the Park to eat out during the summer - just so much variety and better quality. Does this help?? If you need more details, let me know! :)

central illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to eat

Coalminer,

What establishments are good and where are they "near" the park entrance or in?

Thank you!

albuquerque, new...
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to eat

Coalminer...thanks so much for the reply. I did look at the DNP post, and found where you had given someone else pretty much the same advice. We will be in the park for about 10 hours, and I just wasn't sure what to do about dinner. Sounds like if we hang around the park, we could eat at one of the fancy hotels at the entrance. We will have a cooler full of sandwich type stuff that we will pack for the trip into Denali. Worse case would be another sandwich for dinner, but was hoping for a better alternative if we were up to it.

thanks so much for all the great advice the last couple of months or so....we are counting down the days until we are there. See you next Tuesday !!!

L

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to eat

Hi there! Well, food is so subjective, and one of my kids says I am a food snob . . . so take that into consideration. If you like average American food, then the Totem is fine for a pizza and Rosie's is fine for a hamburger - I do prefer Rose's over the Totem - better food, but they are both pretty much the same. I don't eat in them very much - and pretty much not at all during the summer because we have other places to go to. I have had spotty service at Black Diamond but always good food.

Yes, all the hotels have their restaurants, though some aren't that formal. The Princess has their bistro, which offers hamburgers, nachos, etc. There are many smaller places around the hotels I just haven't tried.

The Park use to not have any food choices, but near the Park bookstore is a small eatery - some folks said it was good, but I haven't eaten there myself.

Most of the restaurants/hotels are located in Glitter gulch, so there are all pretty much in the same area. I just ate a few weeks ago at Bub's Baja and had a fabulous taco . . . they changed their entire menu this season, but there food is consistently good and you can get it to go or eat it there - very casual. My favorites south of the Park are 229 Parks and McKinley Creekside cafe - both serve good food.

If you are heading north and want some a real local Alaskan experience, eat steaks at Clear Sky Lodge or burgers at the Monderosa in Nenana. :)

central illinois
Level Contributor
48 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to eat

Thank you, Coalminer! We are staying at the Denali Lakeview Inn.

6. Re: places to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, October 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Healy