We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Haines for 2 days - activities for all interests

Wadsworth, Ohio
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Haines for 2 days - activities for all interests

As part of a weeklong Juneau-Glacier Bay-Haines area adventure, was planning on 2 full days (3 nights likely) in Haines. My research and phone calls indicate much to do and see in terms of the natural setting, wildlife viewing, fishing, and so on. I will be with family of 4, and the 2 women can tolerate only so much of nature (whereas my son and I can not get enough of the wild). I have seen comments about galleries, unique shops, and generally a town to explore, besides hiking and the Chilkoot River and Lake. Will there be enough in Haines for my wife and daughter to explore, in way of shops/galleries/cultural center? Look forward to advice.......FJFOhio

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Haines for 2 days - activities for all interests

You don't say when you will be here......I am assuming summer time......Haines has a few shops and galleries downtown........I think they could all be seen in less than 2 hours, though.....There are also three museums in town......

I would recommend a rental car while you are in town.......that way you could drive to both ChilKAT State Park and ChilKOOT State Park.......and maybe even drive up the highway to Yukon Territory for great scenery and a good chance of seeing wildlife....you will need a passport to get back into the US from Canada......

I would think two whole days in Haines would not be too much nature even for your wife and daughter.....lots to do besides just shopping

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Haines for 2 days - activities for all interests

Don't know if you've had a chance to view the visitors center website, but it may give you a few more ideas http://haines.ak.us/ I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you have along the way......

3. Re: Visiting Haines for 2 days - activities for all interests

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 12, 2014