We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

Had a hike planned this morning with some neighbors.....rainy, rainy all morning, rescheduled to noon.....still sprinkling and the forecast calls for rain the next five days.......well I waffled back and forth, changed my mind half a dozen times and then decided five minutes to noon to drive to the trailhead......sprinkled a little during the first half hour of the hike, but by the time we got to the Battery Point beach it had stopped.....we gathered some fresh beach greens to take home for dinner and .while we were sitting on the rocks at the end of the beach, here comes a whale, not more than 20 feet from the edge of the rocks.....wow !!!.......after that we decided to take one of our new neighbors to a relatively unknown area two coves over.......after splashing through the creek we found the trail hidden in the trees and enjoyed a nice walk through old growth forest with ferns just coming up.....(every thing green like one of those old ads for Salem cigarettes....).......another mile, through a meadow with lupines just starting to bud out (will be in full bloom in another week or two)......the spruce tips were huge and dark pink......looked like the spruce trees were actually blooming.....a bald eagle dipped down over the meadow just to check us out.......onto the gravel beach of what we call "Treasure Cove" because we always seem to come back with neat stuff that has washed up there......fortunately not anything from the Japan tsunami has made it there yet, but we did get a fine long-handled gaff and another bait holder for our shrimp traps........as we were hiking back out, here comes the sun !........that weather man is not always right........look at all we would have missed out on if we had decided not to come because of the weather forecast !!

Home again, out of the wet socks and boots, enjoying the sun on the back deck.........

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,444 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

MomBear

tks for the update/story. reminds us of last summer when we visited and heard/saw a whale.

Have a great day,

Scott

Paxson, Alaska
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

MomB - great little post. 20' to a whale: holy cow!

You could have been tramping around here this Memorial Day weekend...except you would not have been dodging raindrops but snowflakes. Heavy snow at the mile 13 & Maclaren passes. Yuk.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

Oh no, not the dreaded "s" word.......We have great memories of hiking out to Gulkana Glacier while we were in your neck of the woods Dr Bakewell......great off-the-beaten-path place.......thank you so much for telling us about it !

Florida
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

Thank you for the hike report. Reminds me of why I can't wait to get back up there!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

Mombear, I love your descriptions - you paint such wonderful word pictures. You also remind people that if you wait for the weather to be perfect you will miss all the treats and treasures, and most of life! The last time I was in Alaska (1969) I remember a tour guide responding to a question about all the rain: "It keeps our hippies clean!" Ok, so that was the age of Aquarius etc etc!!! But, I tend to remember him saying that it also made the region as lush and beautiful as it was.

I do hope for some clear days so that the magnificence of all above - mountains, eagles, etc - will be visible.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,785 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

mombear: your experiences similar to ours. We had friends from Modesto who came up to see us for our 50th wedding anniversary. Our sandhill cranes were pecking on the windows the day they were to arrive (the 13th) but when we returned from the airport they were gone and we haven't seeb them since. But, they had a chance to see the other wildlife up here and more frequent then we do. In fact our guest was a good moose spotter as we were driving home from downtown Homer, a cow and her calf. Although it was raining we got some good photos. But, no whales, even on the cruise to Seldovia. But, plenty of sea otters.

Edited: 2:23 pm, June 26, 2012
7. Re: Rainy weather...cancel our hike ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 28, 2013