We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haines on Haines Highway

Washington DC
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Haines on Haines Highway

Another couple and my wife and I are taking a cruise which stops in Haines on June 4, 2008. I had thought about taking the ferry to Skagaway, renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake.

Other forums suggested taking the Haines Highway instead so that I do not have to take the ferry. We will probably leave Haines around 9:30 and want to be back by 5:00 (do not want to miss a meal).

Is Haines Junction to far to go or should we stop at Kathleen Lake? Are there any stops along the highway to see the sights and take pictures? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

Some people like driving, some don't - I suppose that will be the primary consideration. There are photo ops everywhere - it's an incredibly scenic highway. To repeat what I said on the other forum in case others are interested in the highway:

With that long in port you might enjoy going all the way to Haines Junction for lunch - the bakery across from the Parks Canada centre is a local favourite. There are great things to see all along the route - Million Dollar Falls at Km 159, Klukshu village to see salmon in the creek (Km 183), Kathleen Lake at Km 220, the best grizzly viewing possibilities of any road in the Yukon from there to Haines Junction, etc, etc. You could easily spend 8+ hours on the drive - it's 152 miles each way.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

I agree that driving all day is not something I look forward to anymore but with two couples we can share. It would be very exciting to see "wildlife". Can you see bears from the road or is there a special place to pull over?

thanx

New York
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

The places to "pull over" for wildlife, is where they are spotted by the passing car. There isn't a "spot" where they congregate.

With more than one driver, be certain they are all on the contract, may be an added fee. The drive is scenic and you can definately take Murray's word for the details. I haven't gone the entire distance, by drove probably 100++ miles and it indeed is very scenic.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

It's not unusual at all to see them right alongside the highway between Kathleen Lake and Haines Junction. I've had far more luck there than on any of the sideroads such as the one to Dalton Post (gravel and VERY steep).

Washington DC
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

Budgetqueen - did you laugh when you wrote your response - I was hoping the bears were waiting for me to come and visit. (Just kidding) Are you the same budgetqueen as on cruisecritic.com?

I appreciate your input on the additional driver - we have to decide what we want to do about that. With five ships in Skagaway I figure it would get very crowded and this trip would be just as scenic and less crowded.

thanx

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

Hi Larry

I've driven this route quite a few times, and have seen a lot of wildlife.....

Look for eagles and swans, and maybe moose along the River between Haines and the border.....

Stop to view the glaciers and scenery between the border and the pass.....

Between the summit and Three Guardsmen mountain, look for mountain goats on the upper peaks....Beavers and swans in the Twin Lakes area.....Binoculars would really be handy.....

The places I have seen bears most often on this route is just after Million Dollar Falls, between there and Dezedeash Lake......sometimes right along the road, sometimes a little further off.......Pull over often, scan for movement.....if you see something large and dark that is not moving, it probably is not a bear....they are always moving, in search for something to eat and will be grazing on the wild clover and fireweed in this area...

A good short hike in this area is the Rock Glacier trail....probably less than a mile long, but you will be afforded fantastic views with the possibility of seeing goats on the upper hills and maybe picas along the trail....

Along with the binoculars you will need to bring your passports to cross the border.....the trip would also be more fun if you have a wildflower and bird identification book......

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

Budgetqueen - Are you the same budgetqueen as on cruisecritic.com?

Yes, and she is the same one fodors too and another forum i cannot recall the name. She has some nice knowledge of Alaska and lots of time

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

Be sure you get a rental car with unlimited mileage. Captains Choice for example has unlimited mileage. Eagles Nest Hotel does not.

Here are the four rental companies I know of:

http://www.alaskaeagletours.com/carrental.htm – Eagles Nest Hotel car rental

http://capchoice.com/cars.htm – Capt Choice Hotel car rental

http://hotelhalsingland.com/ - Avis car rental

http://www.lynnviewlodge.com/cars.html – Lynn View Lodge car rentals

John

Washington DC
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

I would like to thank everyone for their infomation. No wonder tripadvisor.com is the PLACE to go to for information on anywhere in the world. I never travel without getting input on hotels and things to do.

I have already brought my binoculars and am ready to use them. Mombear - thank you very much for the specific places to stop. I think that taking the trip on the Haines Highway will be better than the drive to Emerald Lake since there will be five ships in port in Skagaway.

We are bitting at the bit to take this vacation.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haines on Haines Highway

>>I would like to thank everyone for their infomation. No wonder http://www.tripadvisor.com/ is the PLACE to go to for information on anywhere in the world.

I used to frequent another travel website (geared toward cruisers) but honestly it can get pretty bitter there and the dictators... I mean moderators leave something to be desired. This is much more friendly over there.

John