We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

Which Girdwood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Topic
transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

Does anyone know the best way to get from Girdwood to Anchorage. Can we pick up a rental car in Girdwood and return it to Anchorage? Do they run airport shuttles or taxis? We are going to take the train from Seward to Girdwood. If I read the charts right it will cost $62 per person one way. If we wanted to hop back on the train to continue on to Anchorage it would be another $62 per person form Girdwood to Anchorage. That just doens't make sense. We need a car once we get to Anchorage for the rest of our trip. Any ideas? Thank you.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
96 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

To the best of my knowledge, there are no rental car companies in Girdwood.

You might call an Anchorage based shuttle, limo, or taxi service to find prices, but I don't know if that will be cheaper than the train - guess that depends on how many people you are transporting....on Girdwood's website, they do advertise www.themagicbus.com for charter transportation, but no prices posted.

Good luck!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

Why are you getting off in Girdwood? How would you get around there??? Much better to take the train to Anch, pick up rental car and drive back to Girdwood. Anch to Girdwood is less than an hour drive. No car rental or taxis in Girdwood and not really much there except for Alyeska ski resort, a gas station and a couple restaurants.

maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

WE thought we would spend some time at the Alyeska hotel, at least one night. We heard the tram ride up was wonderful and there was some good hiking. we also were not interested in spending the night in Anchorage. If we took the train from Seward to Girdwood and spent the night and the next day there we could head up to Talketna for the rest of our stay. The one problem was that one of us needs to leave Alaska early and needs to get to the airport around 1 PM on that day. I thought since it was close he could find a shuttle service. Everything seems pretty expensive. I am very open to your suggesstions and help with the itenary. Thank you for you help.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

Well, since others have suggested going on to Anchorage to rent your car & returning to Girdwood by road, I will add that the highway is super-scenic to drive. Take full advantage of any turnout whereever people are gathered & watching the mountain side or the sea - and check to see what time the Bore Tide is the day you are travelling. There is the chance to see great scenery, Dahl sheep close up on the mountains, and maybe Beluga whales at Beluga point if they happen to be there....

So drivng that piece of highway twice is NOT overdoing it! Just be sure to watch crossing traffic...

maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

Thanks for all your help. You both have convinced us to stay on the train all the way to Anchorage and then rent a car there to drive back to Girdwood. Two more qeustions on this part of our trip: how far away will the airport rental cars be from the train station and how long will it take us to drive back to Girdwood.

thanks again.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,489 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

If you are coming in on a cruise, I am thinking the train will take you to the airport. I was under the impression that is what the new terminal(AKRR) was built for. Either way the train station is right downtown (15 min to airport)and you could pick up a car in various locations using a taxi. It is a 45 minute drive to Girdwood if you do not stop to sightsee and there are no major traffic tie-ups.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

The cruise contracted train goes to the airport only, leaves 7am, and costs alot more than the regular run which leaves at 6pm from Seward and arrives Anch 10:20pm and only goes to the downtown depot. The regular 6pm run is the one I always recommend. They both go on the same tracks.

If you rent away from the airport you can save a bit on taxes. Taking a taxi to airport would probably be easiest and cost around $20.

Arriving Anch, getting to airport and in rental car shouldn't take more than an hour or so. Should be able to get to Girdwood by 12:30-1am.

I highly recommend getting the Milepost book for anyone driving.

maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

Thanks again for all the help. We will take the 6 PM train and go to Anchorage to get the car. I was aware that renting the car downtown would save some money but I doubt that any downtown rental station will be open that late (on a Saturday night). If you know of any that stay open late I would appreciate the names.

I think we have the Seward/Girdwood part of the trip all planned now. But, I am sure we will write again as we move on to plan the rest of out trip.

Saratoga
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

How to check Bore Tide schedule?

kansas city, mo
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation to Acnhorage from Girdwood-rental car?

I'll be going in August, I've been trying to find out the same info, I did find the following website, but can't begin to understand it:

…noaa.gov/tides06/tab2wc2b.html#153

Maybe you can decipher it (and if you do, maybe you can give me a tutorial, or just tell me when I might see it between Aug. 5-8)

Frommer's says "find the time of the low tide in Anchorage. Now add the following to the time of the Anchorage low for a prediction of when the bore tide will pass each of these spots on the highway:

Beluga Point (Mile 110) 1 hour 15 minutes

Bird Point (Mile 96) 2 hours 15 minutes

Twentymile River (Miles 80) 4 hours."

I'm sure there is someone out there who can simplify this, but that's all I have to go on for now!