We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

Hi! I'm looking for ideas to entertain my 7yr old at the resort while my husband and older son ski during the day. My 7 yr old is not interested in trying to learn to ski, but I thought there was a tubing park, now I learn it closed two years ago. Besides the tram to the top (gotta do this again the next day with whole family), any suggestions? Spending the day at the indoor pool doesn't sound like a very "Alaskan" thing to do. I was thinking playing in the snow, but how to get a sled? It'll be a Sunday so going shopping probably not a good idea either.. please advise.

Karen

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

Are you already there? If you're flying in to Anchorage and then headed down, you'll have no trouble stopping by Fred Meyer's or Wal-mart on the way down to grab a sled for $20. If you're already down there, maybe one of the ski stores in town sells sleds. I'd call around or ask the folks in the resort about it. They may have sleds they rent or loan out to people.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

How about dog sledding? www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp…

If you have the use of a car, about 10 miles south of Girdwood is the Wildlife Conservation Center http://www.awcc.org/home.html

New York, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

No, we are not already there, would those two stores be open early on a Sunday? What about a store in Anchorage open on a Saturday afternoon. We won't have a car until Sunday.(downtown) I'll call the resort about renting. Oh the Wildlife conservation, are there animals there in Feb. or is it like a museum? Thanks!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

To reply about the dog sledding, we had made plans to do this later in the week in Talkeetna. Thanks,

Karen

New York, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

I've pretty much decided on the Portage Glacier visitors Center. It looks pretty kid friendly in the review and may be our best chance to see a glacier from their window. You can drive through the Wildlife Conservation Center, so maybe both. Thoughts?

thanks,Karen

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

'I've pretty much decided on the Portage Glacier visitors Center. It looks pretty kid friendly in the review and may be our best chance to see a glacier from their window. You can drive through the Wildlife Conservation Center, so maybe both. Thoughts?'

You could easily do both- they are very close to each other and not too far from Girdwood, so it wouldn't be a ton of time in the car. You could maybe even walk part of the way to the glacier if your daughter has some energy to burn off. There should be animals out at the Wildlife Center. Most of them are hearty Alaskan animals. Keep in mind that they're only open 10-5pm in the winter, though.

Oh, and Fred Meyer's is open every day from 7 am to 11 pm. Not positive on Wal-mart, but I'm guessing the hours are about the same. Both of those would be open on Saturday afternoon as well. They are in Anchorage just off Benson-you could maybe take a cab to either one Saturday if you wanted to leave earlier than 7 am on Sunday. Might cost you around $20 per cab ride.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

Thank you! I didn't realize that the glacier was available in any way in Feb. I'll see what I can do because I'm interested and that's definately "Alaskan"!

Karen

8. Re: Alyeska, they closed the tubing park, now what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, October 15, 2009