We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

Which Girdwood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

Our stay in Alaska is short - 4 nights be be exact, but only 3 days as we fly in at almost 9pm and leave at 6am.

1st overnight is Anchorage, then next is Seward where we have a cruise booked. Girdwood has been suggested as our 3rd night - we would be leaving Seward at around 11am and driving up and probably staying at the Aleyska Prince. Next morning we'd head to Anchorage early as that's our only chance to sightsee in Anchorage.

Half a day and one night in Girdwood? Good idea? It's late September so not all activities running.

DE
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

Girwood does not offer enough to spend a night there unless you were going skiiing which will not be an option this time of the year. Just outside Girdwood @ Portage Glacier road, is the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. This is a nice stop to see some Alaska wildlife up close.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

Is there something you found you wanted to do in Girdwood such as Crow Creek Mine, hiking, or the tram? Otherwise why not do your sight seeing in the afternoon/evening in Anc on the day before your flight.

Seward to Anch is 2.5 hours travel time, but plenty of scenic places to stop along the way. Girdwood to Anch 45 mins. Get a copy of the Milepost book. Great detailed road info as you drive.

If you want some place cheap to stay the night before, 10 mins from Girdwood towards Anc is Bird Ridge Motel for $69 a night. Cute, little ma & pa type place. Completely different from the Aleyska Prince but not near the price either. If you decide on Anch, try Hotwire for a decent price at the end of Sept.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,848 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

Girdwood does have the tram up the mountain (you can eat a meal up there, in which case the tram is free, or just hike, there are trails and a hand-tram). The Wildlife center is very cool, I would definitely stop there. It's also just a couple of miles to the tunnel to Whittier and Whittier is really gorgeous - in a fjord, small town, fascinating history esp involving WW2 and there are not nearly the # of tourists Seward has as there aren't cruise ships there, just the ferry. The tunnel is a little intimidating to folks too, I think...it took me some research to realize it's only $12 round trip to use it and you just want to time it so you don't have to wait long. It goes one way every hour right now.

Whittier has lots of on-the-water stuff to do too, large boat cruises, kayak rentals, small fishing boats, and a neat but tiny harbor area with some shops and places to eat right on the water.

I was really surprised how close it was to Girdwood and Portage, and we really enjoyed our afternoon there.

Girdwood has cool places to eat and hang out too, and a very lively nightlife scene if you are into a more laid back sort of live music/bar experience than Anchorage offers.

Anchorage was to me the least interesting part of my trip, I'd hesitate to do it twice and consider going further down the Kenai or north towards the Mat Su valley or something else for that last night, if you can.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

Hmmm... we would like to do the tram alright..and it sounds like there are some other things to see.

I see the Aleyska Prince has been removed from Priceline's name your own price option and their website is quoting $400 a night. Hubby prefers 4*+ on holidays but I'd rather not spend $400 on a night, any other nice options in the area? Or I guess we could spend the day in Girdwood and head back to Anchorage.

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

We just got back fro the kenai peninsula, and spent our last 2 and a half days in Girdwood. We stayed at the Alyeska Resort, which we LOVED. (small spa, great pool, enjoyable food!) and the tram is in the back yard of the resort! We also did the hike to the hand tram, (also in the resort's back yard!) which was gorgeous. Bear prints and scat on the trail, but no bear sightings! I would reccomend Girdwood if you enjoy vistas, nature and hiking.

We ate at the Double Musky, which was amazing, the first night, then we tried Maxines the second, which was also very enjoyable. they have live music on weekends too! We ate at the hotel's Pond Cafe for breakfast and lunch and i would say that i ate my weight in breakfast buffet!! it was great. The views from the tram and the Mt. top were unreal, not only do you have mountains and glaciers to admire, but you have turnagain arm where you can see the whales at high tide! We didn't eat at the 7 glaciers restaurant, although i heard great things about it.

What i did do however was have one of the best hot stone massages i have ever had. I was so pleased that it was amazing because after hiking to the harding icefields and then the next day going out to the hand tram, i was SO ready to be pampered! End of my long tale is we both loved Girdwood!

Covington, Virginia
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

We spent one night in Girdwood at Bud & Carol's B&B. It was one of our favorite places. We arrive right after lunch on a beautiful day and immediately took the tram to the top--gorgeous. Then, we had a great walk on the Winner's Creek Trail and my husband and son took the hand tram across the gorge. Loved it! Although the Winner's Creek Trail is listed as flat in the guidebooks, it isn't. Not to say that it is really hilly, but there are some up and down places, not totally flat. We didn't have time to do the Crow Creek Trail or the mine, but wish we had. It is a beautiful, peaceful place.

Bud & Carol's is a wonderful place to stay unless you are a smoker. They are adamant about no smoking on their property, which for us was a good thing. but it is super clean and she brings a hot, homemade loaf of bread each morning.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,848 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

We stayed at the Dancing Bears B&B which is very new, very private and nice rooms with bath (most of them anyway) and a large living/dining/kitchen area. It's in town, such as town is in Girdwood, beyond the bridge.

I also spent some time at another B&B our friends were staying at and i can't remember the name but it was an A frame house with woods in back, on the first road over the bridge going towards the Alyeska. I thought it homier than Dancing Bears but our friends had reserved the whole thing so the relative lack of privacy was not an issue...and it felt very "Alaskan".

I had very good food at Maxine's (Middle Eastern gourmet, I'd call it) and my friends were the band playing there that night so that was obviously very nice....I also enjoyed eating at the Seven Glaciers, though it's expensive we had drinks and salads which were quite reasonable...and the view is, of course, awesome.

The Bake Shop had really good breakfast and sandwiches and coffee and soup, not too $$ either.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

Well we've decided to drive from Seward to Girdwod anyway and see what our gut feeling is when we get there.

Option 1 will be to book into the hotel and stay. Option 2 will be just to do the tram and lunch and maybe a nice walk and then head back to Anchorage.

I must admit that I'm the type of person that prefers to have bookings made in advance but I think hubby may have the right idea on this.

9. Re: Girdwood for one night - is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 08, 2009