We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bud and carols bed and breakfast

Which Girdwood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sarasota
1 post
Save Topic
bud and carols bed and breakfast

We were scheduled to stay at Bud and Carols for one night in June. Besides our accomadations being all messed up Carol freaked because a person in our party was smoking OUTSIDE. She came downstairs acting like a maniac and told us we had to pay $250.00 or leave. Needless to say we left. Bud came downstairs from inside the house and pointed at all of us and said we had all been smoking and they had to clean everything. I could tell you alot more of our horror story, but it would take forever for me to type.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
308 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bud and carols bed and breakfast

I made a reservation with them since February, but Carol called me recently and told me she had to cancel my reservation. I didn't ask for a reason, but I didn't think it was professional. What if I could not find any other accommodations in time for my trip??? Carol was nice and polite though.

Just my story...

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bud and carols bed and breakfast

Thank you for your post. Until now I heard only good things about this place. Their website says "No smoking. " Doesn't say no smoking inside.

Did you enjoy your trip to Alaska? I see you never posted here before but can you share all your experiences and not only negative with other posters on this board? Thanks

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bud and carols bed and breakfast

People who smoke sometimes don't realize that the smoke can still be smelled on their clothes when they go back indoors. As someone who is highly sensitive to smoke (makes my eyes sting and water within minutes, if exposed for very long, it makes me cough), I can understand why the proprieters may have not wanted smokers there, out of consideration for either themselves or other guests.

However, by just stating "no smoking", a reasonable person might think that means just within the building as your party did. The policy should be stated much more clearly.

And it seems odd that Carol would have allowed you to stay if you paid an extra $250. That makes no sense. Any other guests staying there to whom a smoke-free environment is important, would be extremely upset.

Covington, Virginia
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bud and carols bed and breakfast

We stayed at Bud and Carol's the night of June 28. This was one of the nicest places we stayed on our 16-day trip--I can't decide if it ties with or comes in second to Denali Lakeview Inn. We met Carol and told her how much we appreciated her No Smoking policy as my son is extremely allergic to cigarette, cigar smoke. There is a sign stating the policy as soon as you enter and another one in each bedroom: No Smoking on the premisis or there will be a $250 cleaning fee. She had washed everything in the ENTIRE apartment (in the common room, 2 bedrooms, even the rugs, etc.) in the middle of the night because she was so worried that we would smell the smoke from the night before.

We were extremely happy. There was a beautiful view from the bedroom, many little extras for the bathroom, including a jacuzzi and best of all, hot, homemade bread early the next morning. She leaves a variety of juices, cheese, butter, milk, in the frig.; has a variety of cereal on the counter and even provides an instant HOT water dispenser for tea, oatmeal, etc. All dishes, and cooking utensils are furnished along with a stove and microwave.

Her husband has recently fallen ill, which is why she probably had to cancel the one reservation as it is a rather serious illness.

On top of that it is scrupulously clean. I am sorry the people the night before had such a bad experience, but the sign was in full view and for people like my son who can become extremely ill from even just a whiff of smoke, it was a blessing.

5. Re: bud and carols bed and breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, September 04, 2009