We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

Planning our first trip to AK in late July through mid-August. Had originally wanted to do a PWS tour out of Whittier, with no visit to Cordova. However, Frommer's has convinced me that Cordova has much to offer and I'm wondering if taking the ferry from Whittier to Cordova (instead of the PWS tour) would allow us to see much or most of what we'd see on the tour boat. Can anyone advise?

Also, if we do the trip to Cordova, are we better off to ferry our car, or to leave behind and rent in Cordova. Would be spending one overnight there.

THANKS for your help.

Fred

11 replies to this topic
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

The bridge #339 at mile 36.5 on the road to Childs Glacier is out of commission until at least 2015.

You won't see the same things from the ferry as you see on a PWS tour boat. The ferry from Whittier arrives usually in the evening and leaves the next morning for Whittier often via Valdez. It does not make sense to spend only one night in Cordova. You wouldn't have time to do anything. Check the ferry schedule. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ There are some great hikes in the area. If you're using Frommer's Alaska 2012 it looks like it has outdated information regarding Cordova.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

There was an article in the Anchorage Daily News on Sunday (I think) that said the bridge will not be repaired until 2017 but it is still not funded.

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

THANK YOU Places and spacefry. Yes, the 2012 Frommer's is out of date. Given that we won't be able to see the glacier, I think we'll pass on a trip to Cordova this time. While the wildlife also sounded worthwhile, I think we'll be able to see much wildlife in many other destinations in AK.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

To see birds in Cordova you need to be there in May.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

I too think that spending your time on the Kenai Peninsula and the Whittier and Seward tours would be better than getting to Cordova with no access to the glacier.

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

fti, do you think the tours of PWS and Resurrection Bay are significantly different to make them BOTH worthwhile? I'd tentatively decided to not do the tour from Seward because of concern with seasickness. We also doing a tour of Tracy Arm out of Juneau.

Thanks,

Fred

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

Don't blame Frommer's as that book went to print prior to the road being closed.

In July we will be taking a Phillips cruise out of Whittier (the shorter one as we have been in College Fjords several times) and the ferry to Valdez and up the Richardson with visits to Worthington Glacier and Matanuska Glacier (per suggestions here on TA). We can never get enough of those and see two daily from our window

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,514 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

I often do both the Whittier and Seward tours in one trip and will be doing both next month. The PWS tour emphasizes glaciers. Resurrection Bay and Kenai Fjords emphasizes marine wildlife, so yes they are different. Normally I would suggest the 6 hour or longer Kenai Fjords tours and just be sure to be prepared for seasickness with proper medications, etc.

Some people say the Resurrection Bay tour is not worthwhile. But I took it one April when that was all that was available (in April it is called a gray whale watch tour, but still very similar). We saw lots of marine wildlife, a bird rookery and even a humpback whale (but no gray whales). Only you can decide for yourself if it is worth it or not.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

Here is the article:

http://tinyurl.com/7p9e5cz

I will also say that I have really enjoyed the ties that I have done The Resurrection Bay Tour. We have done this tour with my nieces and nephews when they visited because it was shorter and we all suffer sea sickness. I have seen eagles, bears, puffins, otters, sea lions, seal and whales on this trip though seeing whales is not normal.

Collinsville...
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife

Fascinating article. Just goes to show that you can't tame Mother Nature. Unfortunately, I imagine this may hurt tourism in Cordova.

Reply to: Copper River Delta / Childs Glacier / Wildlife
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted