We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

Hi there..

I am planning a holiday with my husband for April this year to Rarotonga. It will be our first holiday for 20 years and will be like our honeymoon too, as we didn’t have one, so I want it to be really special.

So far it looks like that Crown Beach Resort might be our best bet?

We are in our 40’s, vegetarian and want to relax but enjoy things like snorkeling, riding mopeds etc.

Can someone please tell me if this is a good time of year to go and if we have chosen the right Resort. We need something not too expensive, but we also want something tasteful and reasonably upmarket.

Can you please advise of really nice places to go and to do?

With thanks

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

Hi,

April is generally a very nice month in the region and our preferred time to go (though admittedly we did run into a week of poor weather last time around). Overall though, I think your chances of good weather are pretty good and as an added plus, the water will be at it's absolute warmest.

The Crown Beach is a nice place, though I personally prefer the south shore to the west side as the lagoon is wider and deeper there. Still, the units are very very nice indeed and you'll have terrrific sunsets.

Things to do:

Sunday church with the locals (a great way to meet the locals and a terrific cultural experience - even if you aren't into religion).

The Saturday Market (get there early) in Avarua.

Snorkel, snorkel, snorkel

Have dinner at the Tamarind House (best on the island, in my opinion)

If you are there during the time of the full moon, have dinner at Sail's restaurant (or perhaps the barefoot bar at the Rarotonga Pacific Resort) at sunset to see the moonrise shortly thereafter. Later, walk the beach at Muri, lit by the full moon over the lagoon (just magical).

Attend an Island Night (Polynesian show)

Be CAREFUL on the motorbikes (I really recommend you avoid them) - pretty easy to get into an accident.

Ken

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

... and of course, be sure and get to Aitutaki (for a day trip at the very least - though a longer stay is recommended)).

Ken

San Diego...
Level Contributor
660 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

I second LB's suggestions. We did scooters on Aitutaki, but not on Raro, too many cars going too fast.

How about:

1. Kayak out to a motu at Muri Beach (follow with a soda or cocktail at Sails)

2. Snorkel at Fruits of Rarotonga

3. Enjoy view with drink and/or meal at Trader Jacks

4. Take a hike/walk - either strenuous with Pa or relatively easy to Wigmore Falls.

5. Stroll Avarua and enjoy the local shops

6. DEFINITELY GO SEE AITUTAKI

I have heard only good things about Crown Beach and they look very nice. They are upgrading this winter, not sure when they are scheduled to be finished.

new zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

Thank you for taking the time out to write your suggestions. It is very much appreciated. I will print out and take with us.

Kind regards,

Diana

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

just wanted to let you know that i am planning my honeymoon there in may and checked with the crown beach only to find that they are closed the month of may... i know you are going in april so you might want to find out their schedule. bummer!

new zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

Thanks for the warning.

Just in case..is there anywhere else you can recommend?

Or even Rarotonga versus Fiji or versus Vanuatu?

With thanks

Diana Moore

http://www.artbydianamoore.homestead.com

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

I would not suggest Vanuatu. I loved the Cook Islands, but have only been one time. Mainly this is due to the fact that my time off the last few years has been mainly in August, not a good time for the Cook's as it can be shockingly cool for a tropic island. April is great as LB stated. Warmer but not murderously hot like it can be from Dec-March.

Tahiti is the most dramatically beautiful of the So. Pac. island groups but unless you're really well heeled or don't mind dropping a load of $$, they really have become too expensive and geared to a select few. Some islands, namely Bora Bora have become the poster child for honeymooning, ultra-high prices, and increased development. Fiji, is where I have spent the most time. Not as pretty as Tahiti but in most cases is much more reasonable to visit. Friendlier people as well. Fiji and Tahiti have much more reliable weather, though all the islands get their share of lousy weather. Pub

8. Re: First holiday in 20 years. Want it to be special..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, August 23, 2009