We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Bay Villas on Muri Beach

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Island Bay Villas on Muri Beach

Has anyone heard of or know anything about this property? We are looking at renting the smaller house for a short stay; any information would be gratefully appreciated!

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Bay Villas on Muri Beach

Yeah, we actually stayed in the small house back in 2002 (photos here: http://community.webshots.com/user/lordbalfor (both in the Rarotonga and Cook Islands Resorts and Rental Houses albums). Back then it was called the Island Villa. It has a nice location in regards to views - though we like the swimming conditions a whole lot more on the south shore. Back then the guest house was kind of buggy and didn't have nearly enough lights (my wife really likes to read at night). It looks like it's been re-done and updated so those problem may be a thing of the past.

Ken

california
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Bay Villas on Muri Beach

Great info, thanks! I found your review of the place on epinions and it was very helpful. My fiance and I will be on Raro for four days at the start of our honeymoon. We are currently booked in a Plantation Villa at Sea Change but have become a little concerned about a management change there coinciding with a lousy review here. We're just weighing other options before we make a final decision. Everyone says how wonderful Sea Change is, but we were tempted by the Island Bay Villa's Muri Beach location, cheaper prices and relative privacy. Are we crazy?

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Bay Villas on Muri Beach

Views will be nicer at the Island Bay Villas and you'll be closer to the restaurants & activities of Muri. it's still very private though since it's at the very end of Muri and there's few other folks about. You also have good screening from all the foliage (because of the flowers, the air always smelled of perfume). The indoor/outdoor garden bathroom was kind of neat (though very humid) but it really made me question such bathrooms since it's darned near impossible to keep the bugs out - especially when you have so much thick vegitation about. If you do book the place, keep in mind that it's easy to pass it by when you are driving since it's a bit sunken from the road and there's so many plants (it's the first pull-out after the small bridge).

The units at Sea Change will be MUCH more uscale though (and of course more money). Sea Change is quite simply in the absolute top tier of places on the island (right up there alongside Relfections and Rumours of Romance). it really depends on what you want. If you want a lot of flash and luxury (at a price of course), then Sea Change is a far better choice. Island Bay Villas is a better choice if you are looking more for a good location and an OK place.

I saw the negative review of Sea Change and have to say that I was surprised - though keep in mind that it's not really a full service resort, so the comments about the lack of service is understandable. Also I've not been in the water there, but it is true that the water looks to be very shallow for a long way out. I think if you wade out deeper it should be ok though. In general the south shore is pretty fabulous, but the particular location of Sea Change puts it in a kind of small bay near a stream outflow. Inthat regard it probably has the worst location on the south shore. The presence of 'sea cucumbers' is pretty much a fact of life in Cook Island waters. The local beach and water will be better at Island Bay Villas (I would think).

Ken

california
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Bay Villas on Muri Beach

Thanks Ken! We've decided to keep our reservations at Sea Change. I appreciate your help! Your pics are great. =)

5. Re: Island Bay Villas on Muri Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, August 25, 2009