We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edgewater versus Pacific resort versus crown

Auckland
11 posts
Save Topic
Edgewater versus Pacific resort versus crown

Hi - please can i have comments on which is their preference to stay at and why - many thanks in advance

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edgewater versus Pacific resort versus crown

No comparison really.

Edgewater - very large resort with a mass of hotel room type accomodations. On the plus side it is "full featured", having a restaurant, tennis courts, good-sized pool and a well-known "island night" (Polynesian dance show). It is however an older resort and generally considered to be "too big" and well past it's prime. Beach there is not very good as the reef is very close to shore and the lagoon very shallow (wading only, I would guess).

Crown Beach - small boutique type hotel, recently redone. The units are very nice indeed and fairly upscale. Pool area is beautiful. Like the Edgewater however, the reef is fairly close to shore and the lagoon pretty shallow.

Pacific Resort - situated on the most beautiful stretch of beach (Muri) with picturesque motus (islets) offshore. Nearly as "full featured" as the Edgewater, but minus the tennis courts. Before the recently built boutique hotels such as Reflections, Rumours, Sea Change and even the Crown Beach were built the Pacific Resort was considered to be the top hotel on the island. I think some of the hotel room type accomodations are showing their age, but I've heard generally decent things about their standalone units.

Ken

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Edgewater versus Pacific resort versus crown

I would avoid Edgewater its just a concrete square block. Not pretty & there are so many better places to stay.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
660 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edgewater versus Pacific resort versus crown

Personally I would choose Crown. Just a smaller place, nice pool, good restaurant. A quick drive/bus to great snorkeling.

I would choose Raro Beach Bungalows or Sea Change over all 3.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,338 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edgewater versus Pacific resort versus crown

the side of the island makes a difference, and depending what season you go and why you're going, each has things going for it.

As you were told, of the two on the west side, Edgewater is awful, I would never stay there.

Crown Beach is nice and pleasant and good if you like sunbathing and sunsets more than swimming. I went there for sunset drinks.

If you want a full resort, the Rarotongan is another location on the south coast with better water that also gets sunset, probably has a lot of kids if that matters.

Pacific Resort would seem the most "island" style feeling and the best beach, but is the price point really equal to these others? I thought it was more. At which point, if you want to pay those prices, you could consider a boutique place which will be nicer than any of these unless the full service resort is an absolute requirement for you.

London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Edgewater versus Pacific resort versus crown

I stayed at the Crown Beach resort in April this year. It was nice, and you get your own little bungalow with plenty of space, a little kitchen etc. It definately looked nicer than Edgewater - we went past there a few times on the bus and it really did look grim. However, if I went to Rarotonga again, I would choose somewhere closer to Muri Beach as this is much better for snorkelling, and is simply a beautiful lagoon area. Then again, I think the Crown is good value for money, a nice intimate hotel, with good food and a great island night, and its close to the market - and remember that the island is small and getting around it is easy, so location isn't a huge issue.

One more issue, which may be a good or bad thing, depending on your circumstance - I think the Crown Beach is ideal for families. When I went it was Easter break, and the Crown was full of families with young children (who loved to hog every sun lounger and the entire swimming pool). I like kids, but my husband and I were there on our honeymoon, so it wasn't quite ideal!

I hope that helped, enjoy your hols! :o)

6. Re: Edgewater versus Pacific resort versus crown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga